Layering legs during summit push

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
shadowfire

Layering legs during summit push

by shadowfire » Fri May 27, 2016 11:11 am

I've seen some reports from Aconcagua where peope claims that base layer + softshell wasnt warm enough and that the winds were harsch. Even read about frostbite at the lower part of the body. :o
In that case I wonder if it's enough to add a hardshell to block wind more than what the softshell provides, I.e

Merino base pants
Softshell pants (midweight)
Hardshell pants or bib

... and just add puffy on top of it when resting/stopping/in case of injury etc?
Or is it better to go for something like

Merino base
Puffy
Hardshell

... and skip the softshell competely and just try to ventilate puffy+hardshells according to activity?

My experience from summit nights are that the pace is really slow (6000m peaks) due to altitude/heavy breathing, so that decreases body heat generated by activity.
Not speaking about ice climbing tho, more like normal walking and maybe just easier scrambling.

Damien Gildea

Re: Layering legs during summit push

by Damien Gildea » Sat May 28, 2016 3:31 am

I used Primaloft synthetic overpants, over soft-shell pants, over heavy base layer, on Aco, both times I climbed it.

As I climbed at night from Nido C1 - summit, it was dark and cold and a little windy. Maybe -15C to -20C? I was definitely too cold without the synth pants and putting them on around Independencia or 6100m or so made a real difference. Mine were MH Compressor pants, but Mont Bell, Eddie Bauer, Arcteryx and others all make good versions.

It gets so hot down low on Aconcagua, and rains so infrequently, it's hard to justify taking shell pants there. People have summited in all kinds of clothes (and boots) but when it gets bad there, it gets pretty bad. As you come down in the warmth of the midday or afternoon, you can easily just take them off.

shadowfire

by shadowfire » Mon May 30, 2016 9:52 pm

Damien Gildea wrote:I used Primaloft synthetic overpants, over soft-shell pants, over heavy base layer, on Aco, both times I climbed it.

As I climbed at night from Nido C1 - summit, it was dark and cold and a little windy. Maybe -15C to -20C? I was definitely too cold without the synth pants and putting them on around Independencia or 6100m or so made a real difference. Mine were MH Compressor pants, but Mont Bell, Eddie Bauer, Arcteryx and others all make good versions.

It gets so hot down low on Aconcagua, and rains so infrequently, it's hard to justify taking shell pants there. People have summited in all kinds of clothes (and boots) but when it gets bad there, it gets pretty bad. As you come down in the warmth of the midday or afternoon, you can easily just take them off.

Yay, but would you ever consider wearing a hardshell on top of those overpants? in what kind of weather condition(s), not only on Acon that is?
I'm thinking if you have softshell pants and you place a down- or synthetic pant on top, that should kind of do the trick with both blocking wind and be sufficient insulation (up to altitudes where a down suit might be more preferable).

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:58 am

shadowfire wrote:Yay, but would you ever consider wearing a hardshell on top of those overpants? in what kind of weather condition(s), not only on Acon that is?
I'm thinking if you have softshell pants and you place a down- or synthetic pant on top, that should kind of do the trick with both blocking wind and be sufficient insulation (up to altitudes where a down suit might be more preferable).

That's right, the synth overpants are practically windproof, especially over wind-resistant soft-shell pants.

The only time I would ever wear hardshell pants over synth insulated overpants would be in some very unusual cold wet place where I was moving slowly - Patagonia in winter, Ben Nevis, Cordillera Darwin, Kichatna Spires, downtown Seattle...

shadowfire

by shadowfire » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:33 am

Damien Gildea wrote:
shadowfire wrote:Yay, but would you ever consider wearing a hardshell on top of those overpants? in what kind of weather condition(s), not only on Acon that is?

That's right, the synth overpants are practically windproof, especially over wind-resistant soft-shell pants.

The only time I would ever wear hardshell pants over synth insulated overpants would be in some very unusual cold wet place where I was moving slowly - Patagonia in winter, Ben Nevis, Cordillera Darwin, Kichatna Spires, downtown Seattle...

Aye, that leads me to my conclusion to consider both the hardshell jacket and pants as more of wet and/or emergency layers only.
Now I need to find a nice pair of insulated pants, with a good fit and warmth/weight ratio :)

Return to Gear