Avalanche Awareness

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
JoeyGNJ973

Avalanche Awareness

by JoeyGNJ973 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:17 am

I live on the east coast and the second week of May, me and some friends were looking to head to Mt Adams for the South Spur climb. I've been checking the northwest avalanche reports, but overall I'm trying to do some research to make myself more aware of warning signs and hazards to look out for. What are some typical hazards/signs to look out for on the south spur route. As long as were doing an alpine start from lunch counter is there anything to worry about at night? How big are wind slabs, could that whole snowfield push from lunch counter to pikers peak be unsafe?

The second week of May, myself and 2 friends will be flying out to climb Mt Adams the south spur route. We all have been reading/researching the terminology and awareness for avalanche safety but I have some questions still. I realize avalanche conditions change rapidly, but what would be the most common hazards for this route? Seems like wind slabs, or loose/wet avalanches. But from lunch counter if were doing an alpine start is there anything to worry about since at night, the snow would be frozen? If there's that hollow sound as we step anywhere, do you just avoid the slope all together and wait for another day, or navigate around that? Besides signs from a previous avalanche, or cracking are there any other obvious red flags right away?

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)