Roky mt park technical gear nessecary

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
blade_o5990

Roky mt park technical gear nessecary

by blade_o5990 » Sun May 01, 2016 9:08 am

Hello everyone,
I am going to be spending the summer working at trail ridge in Rocky Mt National park. I am flying into Denver, so I'm limited on space. my question is should I bring an ice axe/ crampons or will they be unnecessary for most of the season. Also I'm wondering if my rope should come along (200' so it takes up a lot of space) (*note I'm not someone who climbs much for fun, I have the rope for glacier travel and canyoneering, but I do climb when necessary to get up summit blocks, ect..) looking at the peaks in the park it seems like most of them have class 3-4 routes up them and to the best of my knowledge there aren't any real glaciers in the park. but I also don't want to get there and realize that I should have brought technical gear. so what do you guys think.
thank you
-Nathan

Dave B

Re: Roky mt park technical gear nessecary

by Dave B » Mon May 02, 2016 3:42 am

There is a lifetime of climbing in the park both with and without gear.

Have fun.

thebeave7

Re: Roky mt park technical gear nessecary

by thebeave7 » Mon May 02, 2016 7:32 pm

As Dave B stated, you can definitely find lots of amazing fun things to do without the gear. June will be a bit tricky if you don't have crampons and ice axe, but maybe you can find someone to borrow a set from? July-September should see most routes and mountains open to hiking and rock scrambling without gear.

Of course if you want to get in some big trad lines on the Longs, in Glacier Gorge or Lumpy Ridge then a rope and full rack would be warranted. It all just depends on what you are hoping to do and if you have any specific aspirations. Have fun, its a great place to spend the summer.

Eric

Return to Colorado