Bears west of Glacier NP

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
markv

Bears west of Glacier NP

by markv » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:32 pm

Reposting for clarity. Leave the extra arguments out, if possible. I know all about spray, guns, that some people think sleeping with food is stupid, general grizz behavior, etc.

If you sleep with your food in some areas (e.g. Colorado, Oregon, Washington), would you sleep with it on the PNT corridor west of Glacier NP? If not, would you canister or hang? This will be part of a long-ish high-mileage, ultra-light (if possible) trip. Arriving at camp late, leaving early, different camp each night.

thanks!

b.

Re: Bears west of Glacier NP

by b. » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:22 pm

I would not sleep with food anywhere in Griz country. Yes it may work, you could be fine. But you could also easily be dead, along with the bear that ate you. We would mourn both of you, but it would really ruin your trip.

I always hang food. I have a small dry bag that I use, and some length of nylon cord. Never used a cannister, and I've always managed to find a place to hang food in Montana. A grizzly killed a guy near Glacier last week. Seems like a silly risk to take sleeping with food.

I don't know about Glacier, but Yellowstone has campsites with a post tied between two trees to make for easy food hanging.

caverpilot

Re: Bears west of Glacier NP

by caverpilot » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:30 am

Definitely wouldn't sleep with food. Period. I use a dry bag to keep my food in with a single 5mm cord to hang. I also have a "Bear Keg" but it is too damn heavy for me. I'll only use that if I'm using horses to access wilderness caving areas, or where there is absolutely no chance of finding big trees.

On the other hand, maulings are very rare, so I'm sure lots of people just take their chances!

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)