REI dividends

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Re: REI dividends

by Bob Sihler » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:59 pm

brichardsson wrote:
aglane wrote:Using the REI card for purchases from them carries an additional 5% to the dividend, so any full-price purchase from REI carries a 15% discount. Pretty good if like me you're not sure that scouring the web for deep discounts is finally worth it.

exactly this. i did a fair amount of purchasing at rei last year, but nothing like i have previously. but the rei card pushed by dividend up to 393.24 this year. not bad since i can cash it out if i don't have gear to buy.

I rarely buy anything full-price from REI but do use my REI Visa for just about everything, always paying off the full balance each month so I never accrue interest. This, plus the additional 5% from even on-sale REI purchases, has translated to a $517 dividend this year for me.

I wasn't aware of the option for cashing out. That's good to know since I currently only have about $300 of gear I need to get.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

ZeeJay
Forum Moderator

by ZeeJay » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:20 pm

If you read the fine print, you have to wait until July 1 to cash out. We just wait until then and get cash from the customer service desk.

The following user would like to thank ZeeJay for this post
Bob Sihler

aglane

by aglane » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:14 am

Bob Sihler wrote:I rarely buy anything full-price from REI but do use my REI Visa for just about everything, always paying off the full balance each month so I never accrue interest. This, plus the additional 5% from even on-sale REI purchases, has translated to a $517 dividend this year for me.

I wasn't aware of the option for cashing out. That's good to know since I currently only have about $300 of gear I need to get.

Bob, my understanding is that on sale goods we don't get the 5% but only the 1% as on gasoline, groceries, and all.
Cashing out is easy: the webpage on dividends has a 'send check after July 1 option,' or as noted above you can claim cash (if they have enough on hand, otherwise a check) from any REI store after 7/1.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:31 am

aglane wrote:[
Bob, my understanding is that on sale goods we don't get the 5% but only the 1% as on gasoline, groceries, and all.

Check it out from the fine print:

5% back applies to net REI purchases (purchases minus credits and returns) including full-price and discount-price items, REI gift cards, services, fees and REI Adventures-invoiced trip payments.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Previous

Return to General