REI dividends

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
tigerlilly

REI dividends

by tigerlilly » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:03 pm

The much anticipated REI dividends will be out on March 24th. FYI

The following user would like to thank tigerlilly for this post
Fletch, Jesus Malverde, Matt Lemke

Trawinski

Re: REI dividends

by Trawinski » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:28 pm

Sweeet! Day after my B-day. Good timing.

Kiefer

by Kiefer » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:43 pm

I already know how much I'll be getting back...$0.00!!!!! WHOO-HOOO! :D
-I hopped off the corporate bandwagon long ago.

-The couple things I DID buy, I went to Bent Gate (Golden)

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:09 pm

OK. why BentGate?

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:29 pm

I'm donating my refund to the Koch brothers.

mtndonkey

by mtndonkey » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:17 pm

Mine came in the mail yesterday...too bad I don't need anything from REI. Maybe I'll just request a check.

no avatar
bananachips

by bananachips » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:29 pm

I recently had a great experience with excellent customer service at bentgate. I ordered a big item online. When it arrived, the price tag on the item was significantly lower than what I had paid. The online price was good (and probably fair), but seeing the lower price on the tag stung a little. I asked bentgate customer service about the difference. They explained that the manufacturer had recently raised it's prices, but bentgate had not yet updated the price on the tag. Without any hassle, bentgate credited my account and gave me the lower price. I will order from bentgate again.

jdzaharia

by jdzaharia » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:41 pm

Sakkinen wrote:I already know how much I'll be getting back...$0.00!!!!!

Mine will be zero also, because I never buy anything there unless it is on clearance.

Their latest offer of a $100 gift card with any purchase on a new REI credit card is tempting. Not sure I want to take the tongue-lashing from Dave Ramsey, though. :D

Jesus Malverde

by Jesus Malverde » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:31 am

jdzaharia wrote:Their latest offer of a $100 gift card with any purchase on a new REI credit card is tempting.

jdzaharia,
FWIW, I signed up for the REI card several years ago (I got a $50 credit). The $50 and all that anticipated cheaper gear sold me at the time.. In hindsight I think my money would have been better spent with a card that earns me airline miles. The marginal benefit of cheaper airfares seems much better than spending hundreds of dollars a year to get something "cheaper" at REI when the "dividend" arrives. Most of the time you can find gear on sale or cheaper at other online vendors than at REI anyway. On the other hand, forgive me banter...As you know, the subject of REI has been hashed over the years here on SP...:)
Stay warm,
JM

aglane

by aglane » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:29 pm

Using the REI card for purchases from them carries an additional 5% to the dividend, so any full-price purchase from REI carries a 15% discount. Pretty good if like me you're not sure that scouring the web for deep discounts is finally worth it.

phydeux

by phydeux » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:50 pm

Got mine yesterday (3/21). Last year's purchases were almost all bicycle-related. Over that past 30 years they've shifted from a backpacking/climbing orientated merchant to looking more like some oddball version of The Gap. I can remember when you could walk in and buy everything you needed to climb of Denali; these days they have everything you need to climb on and off the couch, and look 'ourdoorsy-cool' while doing it. :wink:

The following user would like to thank phydeux for this post
Norris

Marcsoltan

by Marcsoltan » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:07 pm

tigerlilly wrote:OK. why BentGate?

Bent gate because they make it easier to clip the rope into the carabiner. Bent gate goes on the lower carabiner of the quick draw.

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:46 pm

got mine yesterday. didn't last long!!

brichardsson

by brichardsson » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:53 pm

aglane wrote:Using the REI card for purchases from them carries an additional 5% to the dividend, so any full-price purchase from REI carries a 15% discount. Pretty good if like me you're not sure that scouring the web for deep discounts is finally worth it.

exactly this. i did a fair amount of purchasing at rei last year, but nothing like i have previously. but the rei card pushed by dividend up to 393.24 this year. not bad since i can cash it out if i don't have gear to buy.
Don't try to argue with idiots. You aren't the dumbass whisperer.

The following user would like to thank brichardsson for this post
Kiefer

Kiefer

by Kiefer » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:16 am

brichardsson wrote:
aglane wrote:Using the REI card for purchases from them carries an additional 5% to the dividend, so any full-price purchase from REI carries a 15% discount. Pretty good if like me you're not sure that scouring the web for deep discounts is finally worth it.

exactly this. i did a fair amount of purchasing at rei last year, but nothing like i have previously. but the rei card pushed by dividend up to 393.24 this year. not bad since i can cash it out if i don't have gear to buy.

Seriously? Hell, I might have to look into getting an REI Visa. That's actually pretty good. It would be nice to have a small but additional amount to put towards spring trips.
Thanks!

Next

Return to General