Roadtrip Up North

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
Alex Wood

Roadtrip Up North

by Alex Wood » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:40 am

So, a few friends and I are going to be road tripping up north to Minnesota to work at a summer camp, but on the way up, we were going to explore some Idaho, Montana and Wyoming. We would be leaving around May 25th and only have till about June 9th. We were thinking about attempting Gannet Peak, hiking in the Sawtooths, trying Borah Peak, or going to Glacier National Park for some hiking. I know its really early in the season, but does anybody have an idea as to what snow conditions might be like during that time period? Also, does anybody have any cool recommendations for peaks in the Sawtooths (or anywhere in central Idaho) or in Montana? Thanks in advance!

no avatar
splattski

Re: Roadtrip Up North

by splattski » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:48 pm

Expect lots of snow.
We summited Gannet on June 24 last year and were on snowshoes most of the way.
For the Sawtooths, the saying is "You can't go high until the 4th of July."
Expect Borah to be mostly snow from below Chicken Out to the summit.

But don't let that stop you. Just be prepared. Should be some great corn skiing in the Sawtooths. Here's a mid-May TR from a couple years back:
http://www.splattski.com/2008/peak_9290/index.html

The following user would like to thank splattski for this post
Alex Wood

EarMountain

by EarMountain » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:57 pm

The Glacier National Park area has a very deep snowpack this winter. Way above normal. Not much melting has happened yet. 16-24 inches fresh snow this past weekend in the mtns. So expect most areas to have lots of snow and lots of water. Going-to-the-Sun Road will most likely not open over Logan Pass until around the 4th of July. May 25th most low elevations campground might still be closed.

But there will still be hiking and winter type climbing. Just be prepared.
Ear Mountain Photography.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2012.

peakhugger

by peakhugger » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:34 am

Spring = still Winter
(in the northern Rockies)

Echoing splattski & EarMtn: many campgrounds <6000ft may still be closed through Memorial Day in southern MT, WY and ID and trailheads will be snowbound well beyond then in most cases. USFS usually posts campground and occasionally trailhead openings (and rarely trail conditions) on the respective forest websites under News and Events (example from last year) in mid to late May. Both USFS and NPS rangers will be good phone contacts if you want more detailed info.

In all honesty, I'd head south for more reasonable "spring" conditions, i.e. Colorado or Utah. If you're looking for more winter-like weather and climbing, bring the down parka, crampons, and even skis and head on over.

The following user would like to thank peakhugger for this post
Alex Wood

Alex Wood

by Alex Wood » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:37 am

Thanks everyone for your feedback! Thats what I had kinda figured. I was look at how much snow the west got and was thinking there might be around the same up north but I guess thats not the case. Bummer, but I guess thats what happens early season. We were thinking about Colorado as well, but my friends wanted to go somewhere far away because we have that opportunity. Colorado is still a possible option though...

Alex Wood

by Alex Wood » Wed May 18, 2011 1:25 am

Okay, so what I think we are going to do...

This is our itinerary up north from Arizona.

-Canyoneer in Zion (UT)
- Climb Desert Peak via the Twin Couloirs (UT)
- Climb at the City of Rocks (ID)
- Climb Thompson Peak (ID)
- Borah Peak (ID)
-Diamond Peak (ID)
-Leatherman Peak (ID)
- Go into Yellostone Via the West Entrance, hike Mt. Washburn
- end up in Bozemen and climb at Gallatin Canyon
From Bozemen, we would head out to Minnesota

We are ready for alot of snow on all of those summits, but does anyone know about access to those trailheads/areas? I talked to someone at the Lost River Ranger office and I know that the trailheads for Borah and Diamond Peak should be alright. Does anybody have any other recommendations for good sport climbing areas in Montana and Idaho? Lastly, I know Idaho has alot of hot springs, does any body have recomendations for a good hot spring close to Sun Valley, Stanley or Challis? Thanks for the feed back!!!

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed May 18, 2011 2:20 am

Hey, Alex ... may the Sun Gods be with you !

I see an access issue involved with Deseret Peak.

I was there in mid-May last year, and the gate was closed at the national forest boundary.

It will probably be closed again this year. Avalanches and folks getting stuck in the snow at the trailhead.

I guess you'd have to call the Forest Service for current conditions. Best of Luck!

8)
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Alex Wood

by Alex Wood » Wed May 18, 2011 10:42 pm

lcarreau wrote:Hey, Alex ... may the Sun Gods be with you !

I see an access issue involved with Deseret Peak.

I was there in mid-May last year, and the gate was closed at the national forest boundary.

It will probably be closed again this year. Avalanches and folks getting stuck in the snow at the trailhead.

I guess you'd have to call the Forest Service for current conditions. Best of Luck!

8)

Thanks Larry. I didn't really think that road would be closed, by I called up there and it still is and wont be open for awhile. Looks like we are crossing Deseret Peak off of our list. Bummer

pyerger

by pyerger » Thu May 19, 2011 3:03 pm

Hey Alex, this may be a little out of the way, but Stone hill is a GREAT
place to sport climb. It's about 2.5 hours north of missoula mt. There are over 500 routes,, and the climbing is on hard quarzite. Stone hill over looks a giant lake,and is just an awsome place to hangout/camp. Not much beta on the internet, but grab a stone hill guide, in Missoula, or Rocky Mountain Outfitters in Kalispell (Talk to Don, or Jandy ) Have a great trip!
Peter

no avatar
jselwyn

by jselwyn » Fri May 20, 2011 2:07 pm

Plenty of good climbing coming up through MT. If you're in the Lost Rivers I'm guessing you'll come up US-93N which goes through the Bitterroot valley. Everything from bouldering and single pitch trad, to 1000ft walls, to good sport. From the south near Darby/Lake Como is Lost Horse canyon with bouldering and 1-3 pitch trad. Blodgett Canyon has 4-9 pitch walls starting at 5.8+. Mill Creek has a new sport climbing area with lots of stuff in the 5.8-5.11 range. Download the guide at http://millcreekreport.blogspot.com/
Also a few multipitch trad lines in Mill Creek 5.7-5.11. Kootenai Canyon outside of Stevensville is popular with single pitch sport and a few trad lines. Most stuff is 5.10 and above. Pretty good camping in the Bitterroot, also. If you need more info, send me a message.

Goldbug Hotspings near Salmon is pretty sweet.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Fri May 20, 2011 2:46 pm

Looks like Montana wins it hands down !

Alex, SOUTHERN Utah should be virtually snow-free. If you can set your GPS for Interstate 70, you can cross over into western
Colorado AND head up NORTH from there. At least, that's what I'd do.

Idaho can WAIT 'till some other time. It will still be there ten years from now. :D

8)

(Of course, I would want to visit my friends in western Colorado. Those folks ROCK !!! !)

Alex Wood

by Alex Wood » Tue May 24, 2011 7:30 pm

Thanks for the feedback on the climbing! I will have to check out those areas. Missoula is a little bit out of our way though. Larry, that was my idea at first. Southern Utah and then Colorado, but my friend wanted to go up north to check out Idaho. We have have to revert back to more activities in Southern Utah though because right now the weather is pretty crappy up north.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed May 25, 2011 3:36 am

Yeah, that's my point.

I am a "Warm Weather" person, which is obvious from reading my posts.

Of course, I still believe in free choice and to each his/her own, so best of luck whatever your ultimate decision may be ..

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Thu May 26, 2011 2:23 am

I always have to "acclimate myself" when going/driving up to Salt Lake City, Utah.

It's only a bit above 5,000 feet, but WHOAaaa ...

All that snow in the mountains makes me feel so light-headed and carefree, similar to Mary Poppins on the Sound of Music.

:shock:

Next

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)