Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Rock Creek area snow?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Rock Creek area snow?

Postby Luciano136 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:21 pm

Been out of the loop for a while. Is there any snow to speak of left in the area? Thinking about hiking Morgan (s) Saturday. I assume I won't need any snow gear (i.e. ice axe/crampons) ?
Luciano136

Re: Rock Creek area snow?

Postby pjames » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:02 pm

I did south Morgan over a month ago, the snow was easily avoidable. However the axe allowed me to use a steep snowy chute to hasten my decent with a glissade. Don't know if the snow would still permit that now though.
pjames

Postby haha1 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:01 am

I hiked Mt. Morgan (south) in July with none of the snow travel equipment you mentioned. It was fine. You could even avoid the snow if you wanted to, but I ended up glissading on some sections with just hiking poles. I imagine there would be a lot less snow up there now than there was when I was up there. Have fun - it's quite a view.
haha1

Postby Luciano136 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:08 pm

So, definitely clear all the way to the summit. Thunderstorms were more of a problem. Turned around a few hundred feet from the top; about 10min later it was snowing. Looked like it was the right decision.
Luciano136

Return to California