Ruth Gorge

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Canada and Alaska. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Canada and Alaska Climbing Partners forum.
dfrancom

Ruth Gorge

by dfrancom » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:20 pm

What peaks have few routes on them? I would love to get in a first ascent somewhere class IV or V. Some ice, and one night bivy. Any ideas?

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:53 pm

dude have you done your homework? have you done Alaskan grade II or III? the west buttress on Denali is only grade II.

no avatar
Steve Gruhn

by Steve Gruhn » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:03 am

Are you asking what lines we've researched and found to be unclimbed so that you can then go out and poach them?

Try doing a wee bit of research on your own. And, by the way, posting stuff on an internet forum doesn't count as doing research. For starters, you might try taking a look at Joe Puryear's article on the Ruth Gorge that appeared in the American Alpine Journal a few years ago.

dfrancom

may I speak you holiness

by dfrancom » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:01 pm

oh great gods of summitpost "kevin trieu" and "Steve Gruhn" I request your most gracious forgiveness for my thoughtless questions. I fear I might be struck down by thy mighty wrath! I promise to be thy belay slave, if thou will teach but a portion of thy vast knowledge!

MichaelJ

by MichaelJ » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:10 pm

East face of 11,300.

kovarpa

by kovarpa » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:37 pm

FortMental wrote:There's a cool looking couloir with thin ice that angles out of some seracs high above a bergschrund about a mile into a side valley adjacent, some ways to the gorge proper. It then exits onto an exposed rocky ridge and continues some distance over gendarmes and occasional cornices to a small summit. You can get a sense of it from Google Earth..... (search: Alaska)

yeah, I know which one you mean. it is on the list.

Return to Canada and Alaska