Safety update fo Rucu Pinchinca?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
Boleslav

Safety update fo Rucu Pinchinca?

by Boleslav » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:50 pm

There have been safety warnings in the past about this hike.

Has the situation improved is is it still not recommended to do this hike due to the robberies, assaults etc?

thank you

no avatar
mtnjim

Re: Safety update fo Rucu Pinchinca?

by mtnjim » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:58 pm

I was last on Rucu almost two years ago and at that time there were no problems and hadn't been since the pistolero-bandito-rapist had been caught some years before. When I was there Dec09-Jan10 and Dec10-Jan11 I heard of no problems. Last trip I was probably up Rucu a half dozen times, sort of the default hike while making other plans or waiting for the weather to straighten out a bit. i saw several single male and female hikers and did it solo myself several times.

Have you heard of anything the past couple of years? I try to keep an eye on the situation down there and haven't seen any news about problems since I was last there. You could get in touch with the South American Explorers in Quito and see if they have any news. If there have been any recent problems, I'm sure they'll know. Their email is quito@saexplorers.org

no avatar
Boleslav

by Boleslav » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:54 pm

thank you MntJim for the reply.
did you have any map this Rucu Pichinca? or is it straightforward ?

Garon Coriz

by Garon Coriz » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:44 pm

I was there in June 2012 and did it 3 times without any problems including a solo and another time with a girl. I saw a lot of families and tourists doing it. It's super straight-forward. Just follow the trail that starts out paved, goes past the horse stable, and leads to the north side of the peak with a lot of scree.

Return to South America