Saintgrizzly, R.I.P.

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
surgent

Re: Saintgrizzly

by surgent » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:25 pm

Rest in Peace.

He inhabited a different world than I: Montana vs. Arizona. We had few direct dealings with one another but I was very familiar with his pages during my endless hours of vicariously climbing all the world's peaks via SP. His were fantastic and highlighted a part of the country I simply cannot get to on a regular basis. His photos and narratives were "just right".

The various people and characters (in the good sense) that populate SP are what make it so interesting and alive. I felt a sense of kinship with him over the years, as I do with many on this site who regularly check in. Thus, I hate to see him go, but he is assuredly in a peaceful, happier place, and that makes me feel happy for him.

Scott

The following user would like to thank surgent for this post
Bob Bolton

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:34 pm

Free at last, free at last.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:54 pm

To the SP community: Vernon was a valuable and beloved member here, and a friend to many. Soon, we will memorialize his profile page, and come Sunday, some of his pages will be featured in tribute to him. One of those pages is a powerful and moving essay he had been writing for a long time as part of an effort to come to terms with what faced him and share some final thoughts with us. One of his friends has put a great deal of time and effort into formatting this work to be ready for submission, and he has posted it tonight:

Vernon's last submission.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

The following user would like to thank Bob Sihler for this post
Alpinist, Bob Bolton, lcarreau, MarkDidier, Michael Hoyt, Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon

Re: Saintgrizzly, R.I.P.

by Sarah Simon » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:19 am

To Vernon: ¡Via con Dios!

The Vernon's loved ones: Wrap your arms around one another in peace and love and celebrate a life well-lived.
Go climb a mountain

Lolli

by Lolli » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:51 am

Goodbye, Vernon.
:-(
Age is a matter of mind and if you don´t mind it does not matter!

dskoon

by dskoon » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:27 am

Unfortunately, up until now, I haven't spent tons of time reading his pages, mostly viewing his splendid photographs.
I plan on spending some quality time, now, reading his stuff. Especially, but not limited to, his last piece. Thanks to those who helped in making that happen.
I do know that every time I came across his writings and photos, I was impressed, and it always made me crave a return trip(I've only been once) to Glacier. I am now more inspired to make that trip. It's obvious he loved that country.
My condolences to his family. And my condolences to his family of friends, to all those who played with him Outside. It shows he was very passionate about wild places. And, by all the comments put forth here, he must have had that special spark that made him fun to be around and share such experiences with. He will be missed on SP.

May we all live such a full life.
RIP SaintGrizzly. Thanks for the inspiration.

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:49 am

May you always walk in the mountains.

Rest

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:28 am

How sad.

May you rest in peace.

Redwic

by Redwic » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:42 am

Vernon's contributions to SummitPost in general, and the mountaineering community specifically, will not be forgotten.
Our thoughts are with his family and friends.

Aaron Johnson

by Aaron Johnson » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:20 am

I spoke with Vernon's older brother, David, today, for almost an hour. I have met Chet, his younger brother, but never had the opportunity to meet David. Much was discussed as you might imagine. Having never met but hearing so much about me over the years, David was keen on talking with me. We hope to meet in person in the near future.

We talked about what folks leave behind in their passing, and what's important. We concluded what you do, and how you influence those around you, are important factors in determining how you are remembered. Most of all, it's important that you leave your love behind, and Vernon was as loving and loveable as they come.

We also discussed Vernon's legacy here at SP. It's no doubt quite impressive, but he felt Vernon's early years should be better represented, as they were every bit as important as his later years spent in Montana and in GNP. I agreed and fashioned a quick TR to reflect this aspect of Vernon's life. It was originally an article, but I couldn't get my mind around it and it's likely it might not ever get finished. So I ditched most of the text I was working on and fashioned a photo essay of my journey with SP's extraordinary Saintgrizzly, long before he was known as such. With that, I need to retreat and sort out my feelings on this matter.

Anyway, here it is for the benefit of anyone interested: An Extraordinary Life

The following user would like to thank Aaron Johnson for this post
Bob Bolton, Buz Groshong, dadndave, Jerry L, Sarah Simon

Gabriele Roth

by Gabriele Roth » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:40 am

I had few exchanges of messages with him ... a gentleman

dadndave
Forum Moderator

by dadndave » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:46 am

To state the obvious, I have never met Saintgrizzly (Vernon, as we now all now know him in the space of a heartbeat)

Tibetans say that a person dies three times. Once when the heart stops beating, a second time at the funeral, but never a third time until finally no-one speaks your name.

Saintgrizzly, like Rahel Maria Liu, has stepped into the SP hall of fame.

I have taken pause today to read his observations on life, illness and death, and I think I am enriched for doing it.

I think Vernon will live a third time for many years to come in the life experience of his friends and family, and in the people who, in all sorts of unpredictable ways, will be influenced by his writings.

A life well lived.

Much respect, Vernon. Thanks for everything
The strawman is evil and must be punished,

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

by Gangolf Haub » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:20 am

Vernon, thanks for everything you did for this site. May you rest in peace!

Rob

by Rob » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:01 pm

Very sad news. He will be missed :(

Senad Rizvanovic

by Senad Rizvanovic » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:58 pm

RIP

PreviousNext

Return to General