San Diego visit

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
nickmech

San Diego visit

by nickmech » Mon May 31, 2010 10:07 pm

So the wife wants me to tag along while she goes to a conference in San Diego in mid August for a few days. Never been. Any good day hikes/scrambles or other adventures I can do in driving distance from hotel downtown? Might rent a kayak. Oh, need a couple good restaurants to take her to at night.

Denjem

by Denjem » Mon May 31, 2010 10:17 pm

The Neighborhood bar and grill has really nice food and even nicer beers on tap. It is downtown so you can walk. If you have about half a day Mt. Woodson is a nice hike with many boulders to climb on if that is what you are into. A walk on Sunset Cliffs would be a nice short trip.

Norris

by Norris » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:12 pm

It's pretty hot in the local mountains in August, but you can get to Idyllwild in about 2 hrs from San Diego. If you leave super early you could conceivably do something there (Suicide, Tahquitz, or hike to summit of San Jacinto) and be back in San Diego for dinner but it would require moving fast and good time management.

no avatar
Crotch

Re: San Diego visit

by Crotch » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:18 pm

nickmech wrote:So the wife wants me to tag along while she goes to a conference in San Diego in mid August for a few days. Never been. Any good day hikes/scrambles or other adventures I can do in driving distance from hotel downtown? Might rent a kayak. Oh, need a couple good restaurants to take her to at night.

Go to La Jolla shores and rent a Stand Up Paddle Board from Rusty Boardhouse. I think it's maybe $20 for 2 or 4 hours. Paddle over to the Cove (about 1/2 mile to 1 mile) and check out the seals and caves. Great way to spend a hot day in SD that is unique to the area and a fun balance workout.

http://images.teamsugar.com/files/users ... on-SUP.jpg

Return to California