Sichuan: snow and weather for trekking in december/january

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
pijiu

Sichuan: snow and weather for trekking in december/january

by pijiu » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:55 am

I'm tinkering with the idea of going trekking in Sichuan in december/january. Does anyone know how much snow I'm going to find at that time of year at an altitude between 3000-4000 meters? So much that trekking is not doable or rather 10-20 cm?

For the time being I'm not set on a specific area but was thinking of Gongga Shan, Dangling or Siguniang. By the way has anyone any good infos about trekking in Dangling (I've found lots of nice pics on chinese websites but not much else).

Thanks!

BobK

by BobK » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:46 am

Snow accumulation usually doesn't really start till late February in the Siguniang area. I like to climb in Jan-Feb because the weather is more stable then than any other time of year. Some of the higher passes, above 4500m could be a bit tricky at that time. Changping Valley is certainly long enough for a long winter trek. The lower reaches of Bipeng have some interesting side canyons that are rarely explored and should be hikable at that time of year.

I'm not sure about the Gongga area, but it should be similar.

Return to Asia