Slovenia location

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
rick.lambert1@btopenworld.com

Slovenia location

by rick.lambert1@btopenworld.com » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:47 am

Hi there,
I visit, photo and write about High altitude plants (Alpine Plants) and have a puzzling location.
I have details of, and am writing about, a plant photographed 'from the Kamnik Alp around Mlynarske sedlo' but can not find this location on my 1:50 000 map of Julian Alps, or on Google Maps.
I have got as far as Kamnik being a town and the Kamnik Alps being near them. Also that 'sedlo' is a Saddle.
Has anyone information to help me locate the Mlynarske area.
A recent visit across the pass from Karnskja Gora to Bovec was fantastic for plants and again the Mangart Pass wass brilliant.

Many thanks
Rick Lambert

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

Re: Slovenia location

by Gangolf Haub » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:45 pm

Looks like its the saddle north-east of Grintovec. And yes, that's in the Kamnik Alps:

http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.p ... _id=163226

The following user would like to thank Gangolf Haub for this post
borut

no avatar
borut

Re: Slovenia location

by borut » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:01 pm

Here is a page about a bivouac hut situated to the south and below the Mlinarsko Sedlo saddle :
http://www.summitpost.org/bivak-pod-grintovcem/910246
Rocks around the bivouac hut retain fossiles of plants 250 million years old (Tethys sea, Trias period).
The easiest way to get to Mlinarsko sedlo is to first reach the Cojzova Koča mountain hut and next to follow the Skuta standard ascent (one exposed passage,with iron pegs to help out). One then first reaches the bivouac hut mentioned above. Mlinarsko sedlo (miller's saddle) is then close, north of the bivouac hut.
The north acsent to Mlinarsko Sedlo, from the Češka Koča mountain hut, is much more difficult.

Edit :
BTW, what plant are you working on?
The Vršič pass and the Mangart saddle you mentioned are cool, especially since one may reach them by car ! LOL

Return to Europe