So Cal mountain lion attack risk

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
bethw

So Cal mountain lion attack risk

by bethw » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:33 pm

Most of my hiking experience is in the white mountain region of New Hampshire where there is virtually no risk from predatory animals. I do most of my hiking there solo. I've just starting hiking in San Diego County area but I'm concerned about solo hiking because of what I hear about mountain lions. While I like hiking in groups I also like to hike solo - I'm also working on the San Diego County 100 highest and if I have to wait for a group for every peak I will likely never finish the list.

What I'd like to find out is how many people hike (with some mountain biking to trails) solo? It seems like the risk of mountain lion attack is really very low but maybe that's because there are few solo hikers? (note: I fully realize there are many risks associated with solo hiking but I want to keep this discussion to the risk of mountain lion attack)

mrchad9

Re: So Cal mountain lion attack risk

by mrchad9 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:02 pm

1000Pks wrote:I hike solo in lion territory all of the time, and I've never even seen one alive. Though they do stalk, or are curious, but attacks are rare. I see plenty of other hikers similarly, and I hear of no reports of attacks locally, at least not after that poor jogger was killed, back in the 1980's. I have had irrational fears, but then I have not broken down to buy a $4 can of pepper spray, or even have a knife at the ready. I do have a bic pen in my pocket, and can easily swing my pack or my camera, and I have some weak ju jitsu skills.

Although if you are injured and thusly weakened and immobilized, they will probably detect you and shortly be ready to begin feasting once they sense that there is a meal waiting.

The animals finished off Fossett, please do not let that happen to you!

1000Pks wrote:I doubt guns are any good idea for any defense against mountain lions. You then put yourself at far more risk shooting yourself, or being a tempting target for criminals to get your gun to then rob people. Not to say worrying others about being some kind of psycho nut! Hunters go out with rifles, a pistol is wildly inaccurate and most likely you'll miss or hit some nearby hiker.
Better to just find a good partner and hike together, although with the local enviro club there is big risk doing that! If you are climbing at the level you say you are, lions are a very small worry in the scheme of things, then. As that poor girl who attended one of Bob' SCs, you are at big time risk going with him, being that he assumes zero responsibility and happily leaves you to make your own way, even in the hands of like minded people who say and do similarly.

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
bethw

no avatar
LionIndex

by LionIndex » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:36 pm

Quite a few of the 100 highest peaks in San Diego county are in the desert, and you won't have to worry so much about cougars out there - spraining an ankle and then running out of water would be more of a problem for you. Many of the other highest peaks are fairly near developed/recereational areas and are pretty accessible, so there tends to be a decent amount of people around, especially on weekends, which I would think would scare cougars off a bit. The only peaks that are really remote (aside from desert peaks) are up near the Riverside county line. Once you get into to the foothills, with things like Woodson and Iron Mountains, and the Cowles Mountain range, there'll be a ton of people around, so even if you're solo, you'll sort of be in a group. I'm a SD native, and have been hiking around town for years, and I've never even seen a sign of a mountain lion.

Although I've always gone with a partner, I personally wouldn't worry about hiking solo in San Diego, but then I'm also pretty tall and probably not a really attractive target for a cougar. So, be aware of your surroundings and all, but don't let it hinder you. Note that probably half the victims on the list of fatal attacks linked by butitsadryheat are children.

no avatar
bethw

by bethw » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:58 pm

thanks for the info and I'll keep checking back on this post. I'm especially interested in hearing from solo hikers. I'm 5'4" so not tall and not big sideways either. I suspect the mountain lion fear is irrational and primal (big teeth tend to scare humans, myself included I guess). I had planned to hike Black Mtn #1 in Ramona today but Pamo Valley is remote, there are cows/calves everywhere aka lion food? and I freaked myself out. Needless to say I'm at home in front of my computer rather than on the trail ...

nartreb

by nartreb » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:46 pm

In general you're more likely to be killed by a deer crossing the road in front of your car.

To put it in perspective, the risk of that is about three times lower in California than in New Hampshire (fewer deer in CA - and no moose!).

Statistics for 2011, entire state of California:

Fatal traffic accidents caused by "live animal": 5. (source: NHTSA - can't link directly but do a query on http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/ )

Fatal mountain lion attacks: 0 (none since 2004. Previous fatality was 1994, when there were two.)

The following user would like to thank nartreb for this post
bethw

Tonka

by Tonka » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:19 pm

You just need to put the numbers in perspective. Just living in SoCal- smog, traffic or crime are going to kill you long before a mountain lion. The most dangerous part of hiking solo in SoCal is driving to the trailhead and you can't argue those facts.

MichaelRyanSD

by MichaelRyanSD » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:53 am

Yeah I've lived in SD my whole life, never once saw a mountain lion...ever. Nor have I heard of one attacking. You can either get busy living or get busy dying, your choice on what you deem as acceptable risk.

Mountain Bandit

by Mountain Bandit » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:16 am

I think you should worry about other things that might pose a little more risk - CLIMBING UP NEAR VERTICAL SNOW/ICE/ROCK!!!!!

Saying this I'm from another weird and wonderful land (not America) where there are no mountain lions (although dingoes have been known to take babies..........................)

no avatar
bethw

by bethw » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:30 am

Heading to Cuyamaca tomorrow; starting with group then I'll be on my own to hike a peak they don't want to hike. Can't wait and I'm way less worried after all of your posts.

Yup, White Mountains in winter is dangerous - no doubt about it. Solo hiking in the whites in winter (despite steep terrain with snow and ice in places) is unparalleled imo. And as the person from Boston said, getting to the trailhead is risky with so many deer and especially moose. I live there 4 months out of the year and sad to see so many dead moose on the side of the road - and knowing the drivers who hit them are likely in the ER. Still, that primitive fear that something might be stalking me is not present in the Whites.

Thanks all for the reality check.

kolbi2112

by kolbi2112 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:33 am

The risk is so small it's not even worth considering.

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:28 am

Plenty of lions here in WY but you never see them. I run into way more moose and bear in the mountains. I figure a moose is more likely to hurt me than a lion. If confronted by a lion, hold your pack over your head to make yourself look taller. Like another user said, a confrontation is much more likely to be from behind. Fight them hard. That being said, you'll prob win the lotto before being jumped by a big cat. I'd be more worried about a dog on your morning run. :)

lasvegaswraith

by lasvegaswraith » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:04 am

To bump the previous posts, it's unlikely you will see them even if they're there.

I used to live in America's Finest City and spent many a weekend away from the beach and in the mtns. At one time (don't know if it's still active) Cuyamaca Rancho ran an extensive mtn lion study program (tracking, etc...) and if they still do, those guys may be around and can provide all kinds of info. You can check w Park Service to see if study is still going on.

Basically risk is very minimal considering they are just elusive by nature. One other reason they are so rare is their territory, particularly for the males, is huge >100SqMi so you wouldn't have a lot of lions in any particular area. From what the program guys said, they would be most prominent in Pine Valley, Lagunas, Cuyamaca area but do reach as far south as Campo, as far east as Hellhole Canyon/Ranchita and north to Riverside County line and beyond. Areas with hobby animals like llamas and of course plentiful mule deer are where they would be found. All that being said, with all the daytrips, the only lion I've ever seen in SoCal was Whiting Ranch, OC back around 2001/2002 and that area has, unfortunately, become synonymous with lions.

Just be a little more aware at dawn/dusk when they are active, and if you have an encounter, make yourself as large as possible, hold hands up and make a lot of noise. Don't crouch and don't run. Like WY said if it came down to it, fight hard, go for the snout and eyes.

As all are seemingly in agreement, you've got more chance of coming to my town and winning a couple cars on the slots than being attacked. :D

Have fun! There are unbelievable areas in SD and I don't get back as much as I'd like...

The following user would like to thank lasvegaswraith for this post
bethw

JHH60

by JHH60 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:08 am

I've been hiking in various parts of California at least once a week for 17 years and have seen mountain lions once in that entire time. I say "lions" as it was a female with a couple of cubs (a very cool sight, one of my top all time wildlife sightings) and they were lying in the grass approx 30 yards up a hill from the trail I was running on. I was on a very popular trail near a reservoir (Crystal Springs) in the middle of a suburban part of the SF Peninsula, though the fact that the reservoir has lots of deer and the surrounding lands are fenced off from human access perhaps explains the presence of lions there. Another friend who has done a lot of hiking in CA has only seen them near his former home high in the Berkeley hills, where they probably lived off the Tilden Park deer population. My suspicion is that if you live in a suburban area, especially near a park where deer live, you'll be as likely to see a mountain lion walking your dog near home as you are seeing one on a remote trail, which is to say, not very likely at all.

clmbr

by clmbr » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:37 pm

I’ve seen two or three times mountain lions in BA but never in other mountains. People always told me I had to be lucky to see one. The scariest encounter I’ve had, however, was years ago in Golden Gate Recreational Area where the lion crossed my trail. I stopped quietly and let the beast pass trough. The enormous muscular cat did not show any aggression or fear, just walked with pride. When (I thought) it was far away enough to feel safe again I took out my slide camera and prepared to take a picture. At that moment the mountain lion stopped and looked at me with warning (it felt like our thoughts were exchanged telepathically) and I immediately realized how a big mistake I made and vulnerable was if the lion wanted to proceed.

Statistic are very useful as reference, just make sure not to become one.

Next

Return to California