So...I think I'm sold on the XGK but now what?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
radson

Re: So...I think I'm sold on the XGK but now what?

by radson » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:24 am

White gas and Kerosene are THE fuels to use in very-cold high-altitude places, or where compressed gasses on your back are likely to make you a human torch

I dont know about that. In what situation is cannisters likely to make you a human torch? Every high altitude trip I have been on has used a jetboil or MSR Reactor with isobutane. No bloody pumping or leaky bottles.

no avatar
pdxr13

by pdxr13 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:22 am

Haven't you shot at full fuel cartridges? Of course not ;-)

I still think that you get more BTU's per pound with liquid fuels, and hotter flames. The Jetboil and Reactor are neat systems.

Try to start a wet-wood campfire with a cartridge? A little kero from the stove bottle on a scrap of paper or cloth works great. Steam! Totally cheating, according to my Scoutmaster.

radson

by radson » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:06 am

Reactors etc are faster than XGK. No contest. They are also less likely to kill you by CO and easier to setup. Plus airlines hate fuel bottles. Far easier to buy catridges in Huaraz, Mendoza, Kathmandu, Skardu etc. If its seriously cold, sleep with your cannisters.

The following user would like to thank radson for this post
pdxr13

adventurer

by adventurer » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:09 pm

+1 for the MSR Reactor, or similar stoves, over the XGK. I quit taking unnecessary risks with liquid fuel stoves after I bought a Reactor several years ago.
"When you travel, if you avoid the people, reject the food, ignore the customs, and fear the religion..... you might as well stay home"
James A. Michener

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:38 pm

I think liquid fuel stoves are still preferred in Alaska where the relatively low altitude and cold temperatures make canister stoves unreliable. Everywhere else I would go with a cannister

asmrz

by asmrz » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:06 pm

I would not go with butane cartridge stove for one reason. There are so many places in the world (including the US) where you find camps littered with empty cartridges. It is so easy to just throw them away, rather than carry them empty for miles. Human nature is what it is...

Liquid fuel stoves have no such problem.

If you go mostly on short, overnight trips and intend to be responsible, the butane stove is fine. Carrying out a ton of empty butane cartridges on a three week expedition is another story.

no avatar
pdxr13

by pdxr13 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:01 am

[quote="radson"] Plus airlines hate fuel bottles.

It's mutual. I haven't flown TSA-Commercial since summer 2001. Plenty of fun within 2 tanks of gas from pdx to last the rest of my life.

I'm not going to argue the benefits of Coleman Dual Fuel 2-burner suitcases here, but they are great if you don't have to carry them on-back or in-hand. ;-)

Previous

Return to Gear