SoCal mountaineering shop?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Sam Page

SoCal mountaineering shop?

by Sam Page » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:22 am

What is the best store for mountaineering gear in or near Orange County? I need snowshoes, maybe light crampons, meals-in-a-bag, stove fuel, etc. Thanks.

Deb

by Deb » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:35 am

REI man!

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:35 pm

I made a big mistake by "gearing up" at a socal REI store when I was getting ready to go climb in Canada.

I don't think you can find a good selection at REI or any store in SoCal for Ice Climbing and winter mountaineering equipment.

Or knowledgeable sales people to help you with your selections.

They have like 3 kinds of crampons in stock.......... 2 kinds of boots.... 2 ice axes.....(maybe)

we hit a Real climbing shop in Jasper, I did not know that there are more than 30 kinds of crampons!

They dialed me in, sold me some pons that didn't bail up with snow, adjusted em so they never came loose or fell of ( like the BD ones did)...... Those guys knew all about real winter climbing, heck their summer climbing is like our winters :wink:

So I resolved to never to buy more stuff from people who don't know shit.

Besides it is much easer to get through an airport with cash than an Ice Axe...

just saying. :wink:

JHH60

by JHH60 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:17 pm

Does Bishop count as SoCal? There's Wilson's Eastside Sports. And as grammys11 mentioned, Mammoth Mountaineering in Mammoth has pretty good selection, and their annual sale has good discounts.

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:33 pm

JHH60 wrote:Does Bishop count as SoCal? There's Wilson's Eastside Sports. And as grammys11 mentioned, Mammoth Mountaineering in Mammoth has pretty good selection, and their annual sale has good discounts.

Dude.... the City of Los Angeles owns Bishop. Lock stock and barrel.

harsh but true...... :wink:

gk :wink:

JHH60

by JHH60 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:43 pm

Guyzo wrote:
JHH60 wrote:Does Bishop count as SoCal? There's Wilson's Eastside Sports. And as grammys11 mentioned, Mammoth Mountaineering in Mammoth has pretty good selection, and their annual sale has good discounts.

Dude.... the City of Los Angeles owns Bishop. Lock stock and barrel.

harsh but true...... :wink:

gk :wink:

They certainly own the water. And Mammoth is basically North LA. :)

Hyadventure

Re: SoCal mountaineering shop?

by Hyadventure » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:58 pm

Sam Page wrote:What is the best store for mountaineering gear in or near Orange County? I need snowshoes, maybe light crampons, meals-in-a-bag, stove fuel, etc. Thanks.

eBay..

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:15 pm

For the basics, REI in Santa Ana will do. More specialized gear, not so much. Someone suggested Nomad Ventures to me for mountaineering boots. I might check them out sometime.

climberslacker

by climberslacker » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:06 pm

I know that the O-side A16 has at least one good person who knows what hes talking about (his name is Evan) and he will set you up. They have like BD cyborg crampons, and the Contact crampons, and the BD raven Ice Axe, so not much in stock as far as that goes. As far as Nomad Ventures, THEY ROCK! I love that place!

-Jace

Rinat Shagisultanov

by Rinat Shagisultanov » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:44 am

Nomad Ventures in Escondido. Depending on where you are in Orange County, it might be an option.
Last edited by Rinat Shagisultanov on Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deb

by Deb » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:40 am

Nomad in Temecula too. :D

Sam Page

by Sam Page » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:04 am

Because it is only 15 minutes away, I went to the REI in Santa Ana. Nice store. I came home with lots of goodies, but not the big fish: snowshoes. They have a decent selection, but I just wasn't ready to shell out $150+ for something I haven't researched. I almost bought a pair of large Yukons, which were on sale for ~$80, but the binding system is terrible. I was surprised to find only two pairs of snowshoes on Craigslist.

dskoon

by dskoon » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:35 am

Guyzo wrote:I made a big mistake by "gearing up" at a socal REI store when I was getting ready to go climb in Canada.

I don't think you can find a good selection at REI or any store in SoCal for Ice Climbing and winter mountaineering equipment.

Or knowledgeable sales people to help you with your selections.

They have like 3 kinds of crampons in stock.......... 2 kinds of boots.... 2 ice axes.....(maybe)

we hit a Real climbing shop in Jasper, I did not know that there are more than 30 kinds of crampons!

They dialed me in, sold me some pons that didn't bail up with snow, adjusted em so they never came loose or fell of ( like the BD ones did)...... Those guys knew all about real winter climbing, heck their summer climbing is like our winters :wink:

So I resolved to never to buy more stuff from people who don't know shit.

Besides it is much easer to get through an airport with cash than an Ice Axe...

just saying. :wink:

There ya go. Fly(or roadtrip!), to Canada to buy your mountaineering gear. :)
Test it out and climb while you're there. Have some tea in one of the huts for me.
Say hi to lake Louise.

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:11 pm

dskoon wrote:There ya go. Fly(or roadtrip!), to Canada to buy your mountaineering gear. :)
Test it out and climb while you're there. Have some tea in one of the huts for me.
Say hi to lake Louise.

Tea.... Heck, a few snorts of Yukon Jack, and hit another frozen waterfall.... :wink:

I really did feel stuuuuupppppiiiidddd with my gear they sold me at REI..... ax to short, very technical crampons...

IMHO we don't have a quality gear shop in the southland anywhere. :wink:

Once you know the products from years of climbing and usage, you can dig up the correct parts in the sizes you like, online, used etc. but if you really know zero (as I did) relaying on the sales folks will most likely lead to some dissatisfaction with your toys.

The money you save, by not wasting money, will pay for that shopping trip to Canmore. It's just to bad the exchange rate sucks today.

and don't miss lake Louise..... just beware of the speed trap the RCMP set up on the downhill run from the place..... got me. :cry:

Return to California