Soloing Mount Sunflower

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
no avatar
UncleBob

by UncleBob » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:11 pm

Remember rob, if it gets too cold, you can always grab the nearest llama and zip him open like a tauntaun.

Dragger

by Dragger » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:29 pm

Don't forget your Gamow bag Rob! We're cheering for YOU!!!! :P

rhyang

by rhyang » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:07 am

UncleBob wrote:Remember rob, if it gets too cold, you can always grab the nearest llama and zip him open like a tauntaun.

Now here is an idea with potential :lol:

rhyang

by rhyang » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:16 am

:lol: can't ... breathe ... laughing ... too .. hard :lol:

kakakiw

by kakakiw » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:25 am

UncleBob wrote:Remember rob, if it gets too cold, you can always grab the nearest llama and zip him open like a tauntaun.

Yep, just crawl right over the old gut pile, and you're home! And a side benefit, dinner is served!

no avatar
Zzyzx

by Zzyzx » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:34 am

Rob, I see you got some good advice here. All I can add to it is that a solo expedition to Mt. Sunflower should NEVER be taken lightly. Besides many technical challenges that you may face , I'm really concerned about your current emotional state. All that talk about new line of alpaca clothing at the Thanksgiving dinner got me really worried about you.
Before making the final decision you need to realize that if anything went wrong you might be putting not only your life in danger, but also lives of other climbers on the mountain. Keep in mind that many of those people may have invested a lot of time and money into this climb and having to rescue you might require them to give up their own summit bid. Wouldn't that be selfish of you? You shouldn't put your search for a cheap thrill above the needs of others IMO.
Should you still decide to proceed with your plan, I advice you to read this trip report.
Good luck with your climb!

CClaude

by CClaude » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:23 am

Rob,

DON'T DO IT SOLO!!!! Atleast not when I am out there attempting it myself. If I have to spend the 20 minutes bandaging the toe you scrapped on the cattle grate and it interupts MY plans after I have flown all that way... I'll be really pissed. I've discussed this extensively with my partners and they are in agreement. We're going to use two ropes with 3 people... You can never be too safe....

And that left pinnacle....No WAY Jose. I'll stick to the right and I'll try to be ethical in my trip report

Gareth

by Gareth » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:23 am

I thought that I had better chime in as I'm willing to bet that I am the SPer with the most experience climbing Mount Sunflower, and who has spent the most time in Kansas' death zone. I've summited Sunflower three or four times (its been so many times that I forget the exact number). All these ascents were without supplemental oxygen. One or two of my ascents were done solo, with absolutely no outside assistance from anyone. Solo climbs are indeed a very serious matter and should not be approached lightly. Kansas is a climber's hell, and therefore Sunflower is indeed a hellish mountain. PM me if you need any further information. If you pick me up, I'd be willing to guide you an an attempt at the summit. I only ask that you pay for gas. :lol:

BTW, they never should have put that cattle grate into place...talk about murdering the impossible! :evil:

kakakiw

by kakakiw » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:04 pm

I think I heard somewhere that a barium enema may well be needed after the summit. I think Gareth can help you out there :wink:

All kidding aside,considering what happened to you over the summer, I am damn happy you are here to take this abuse. I broke my upper back a long time ago and I have a little bit of a clue as to how the whole thing goes. Welcome back!
Now climb the damn hill! :D

kakakiw

by kakakiw » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:25 pm

Butterfly wrote: He! He! We might all be getting the around here, doubt that Rhyang is a real person especially given the crazy story of him climbing the highest point in Florida all by himself ...no rope, no llamas....heheheheheeeee.......give it some time, I am sure the air will clear soon and the joke will be on all of us! :lol:

I know, Rob, I am changing the side, I have to be mean, you never answer to any of my attentions..... :twisted:

This from a butterfly? You feel the need to attack people,what it took you 6 time to do Mont Blanc!

PreviousNext

Return to Technique and Training