Soloing Mount Sunflower

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
rhyang

Soloing Mount Sunflower

by rhyang » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:51 pm

Has anyone soloed Mount Sunflower ?! I know it is a difficult alpine climb with a killer approach, and would appreciate some input.

btw Are all the summit pinnacles the same height ? Please, no annoying or harassing comments ... THIS IS SERIOUS BUSINESS !!

I need a hug :lol:

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:53 pm

I think Mount Sunflower should only count if you do it Sea-to-Summit. I suppose the best approach comes in from the Gulf Coast.

kakakiw

by kakakiw » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:00 pm

I hear you need a real big support team and years and years of experience. And a strong wind at your back. :D

kakakiw

by kakakiw » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:03 pm

Permits too! And sponsors. And hell we can't forget dancing girls when you finished :shock:

rhyang

by rhyang » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:07 pm

kakakiw wrote:And hell we can't forget dancing girls when you finished

But remember, they have to be the Ideal Woman :twisted:

Thanks for the hug Butterfly :) I hope you are not taking any of this seriously - just a little Wednesday laugh for us all ... an SP tradition :wink:

kakakiw

by kakakiw » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:09 pm

And the lamas too.
No wait, you may need to use elephants.

Holsti97

by Holsti97 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:13 pm

Rob-
This trip report may help you in your quest:

http://dim.com/~jbettin/air/ks000.htm

Dave Dinnell

by Dave Dinnell » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:50 pm

It appears there may be some issues involving the true high point at this location.
We would be forced to openly spend 13 pages on the forums at SP debating if you actually summited the "true" highpoint and in what style.
So, be sure to take a partially filled water bottle to use as a level.

There are wrist water bottles,
but their accuracy is openly derided.

There is also this model,

although it does not come with chips for use in a laptop or allow for the downloading of data.
It also can be heavy and should generally be used only with larger expeditions.

I like this model for determinig true high points of peaks.
It has a userfriendly interface with a surveying adapting tube to make it easy to adjust fluid levels when absolute accuracy is paramount.

MoapaPk

Re: Soloing Mount Sunflower

by MoapaPk » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:08 pm

rhyang wrote:btw Are all the summit pinnacles the same height ? Please, no annoying or harassing comments ... THIS IS SERIOUS BUSINESS !!

The left dead tree appears higher. If you stood on its apex, I bet that would constitute FA.

Dave Dinnell

by Dave Dinnell » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:49 pm

NoooB wrote:Rob is mentally unbalanced....

Some might suggest that Rob has a screw loose. But this can't be, as all of his halo screws have been removed.
Perhaps by putting them back in, just in one side, he can become a more balanced individual.

However, if Rob is serious about his solo attempt on Mt. Sunflower,
he will know whether he is screwed or not when the weather turns,
and he may just tell the rest of us wankers to not screw with his mind.

Or pehaps, since it is humpday, we should all get screwed. :lol:

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:59 pm

rhyang said:

I need a hug

If you can afford to fly to Sweden and have 20 kronor to spare, maybe this will help:

Buy a hug for Christmas
28/11/2007 09:06 - (SA)

Stockholm - Amid the gingerbread and stocking stuffers, Swedish Christmas shoppers this year can also buy a hug or two as part of a Red Cross campaign aimed at helping the lonely through the holiday season.

"We're going to conduct this campaign across the country ... We hope to have thousands of huggers," Swedish Red Cross communications director Johan af Donner told AFP on Tuesday.

"Our idea is to break through the isolation felt by many people all over Sweden ... We want people to feel close and connected for Christmas," he said, adding that the aid organisation hoped to make 25 million kronor (R28m) on its pre-holiday campaign.

The "Hugs for the Lonely" drive, which will run December 1 to 21, is going national this year after a local Red Cross chapter in Vaesteraas, west of Stockholm, made around 300 000 kronor selling embraces last year.

"I think this is something that is going to keep growing. In three to four years this could be huge," af Donner said.

The campaign resembles a "Free Hugs" drive that catapulted to world fame after an Australian man appeared on the YouTube video-sharing site throwing his arms around strangers in central Sydney, but the Red Cross said it would charge 20 kronor for each of its hugs.

"Of course, people can give away a few hugs if they want to," af Donner said, adding that the proceeds would help pay for the organisation's work in Sweden, including paying visits to people who are lonely and in need of company, and for the recruitment of more volunteers.

"Christmas is a very difficult time for many people," he said.

Next

Return to Technique and Training