Speed Record on 14ers. A most inspiring trip to Colorado!

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Joiex

Speed Record on 14ers. A most inspiring trip to Colorado!

by Joiex » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:53 am

Wednesday (was it only Wednesday?) I set out to the Rocky Mountains national park with my sister, Mareshah. The plan is to take a hike on Longs peak (one of Colorado's 58, 14,000+ foot peaks, ie; 14er) I fear my competency is in doubt as I haven't done any sustained routine exercise in years. I've been smoking too much in the past few months. I am unaccustomed to being at higher altitudes. And since I had arrived in Colorado, have been hit hard with allergies and severe asthma. But wait! There's more!! Arriving the night before, we decided it would be a good idea to visit the local pub and have a drink, or more. We end up meeting the most amusing and lively group of hotshots (wild land fire crew). Though it was one of the most enjoyable evenings ever, I am now facing my hike with a severe hangover and very little sleep.

Arriving at the trail head (only 4 hours later than planned), we meet up with a few of the HOTshots from the previous night. They should be in a similar state of hangover, but alas, these studs are here to RUN up the mountain. I'm simultaneously skeptical and impressed at this optimistic notion. We wish each other luck and happy trails and watch as these uber fit men bound out of sight on the trail ahead of us.

As it turns out, I function as though I belong in the mountains! Despite all my obstacles, including inclement weather, I move quickly and confidently up to our goal point at 11,500+ feet. My asthma isn't bothering me. The altitude is not slowing me. And my body is functioning as though it is a well trained, non-abused machine. Go figure.

Upon returning to the trail-head, I am hankering for a nap. The fatigue sets in and I perceive it in every joint of my machine. It's funny how much I like this feeling. The hotshots show up and verify their BADASSerie by having actually made the summit! In precarious weather! In tennis shoes! In near record time! Studs.

We are also aware of another most inspirational occurrence that is transpiring in these mountains this day. It seems that a man, (if you can call him that) by the name of Andrew Hamilton, (40 yr old father of 4) is attempting to make a new speed record on climbing all the 14ers in Colorado. He is on day nine and scheduled to be on the very mountain we are on, his final summit, to complete his goal.

WAIT! Do that math! In nine days, this man will have climbed (unaided) 58, 14,000'+ peaks! (For reference, the highest point in the contiguous United States is mt Whitney @ 14,495'). All day and all night in what proved to be an incredibly challenging weather season. This is a near inhuman feat! He's literally running up and down these high altitude mountains for nine days and nights straight, resting only when in transition to the next mountain.

We decide to wait in the parking lot of the trail-head to see if we might catch a glimpse of this man starting the last mountain of his journey. We wait. And wait. (Please, I just need sleep and food) For five hours we wait in a raining parking lot. And then! He arrives with an entourage of fans and supporters. We wait with anticipation for him to emerge from his travel van. He is being prepped in the van where we cannot yet see him. The buzz and energy of everyone is powerful. I'm excited to see what kind of man can do such a seemingly impossible task. Finally, we all stare, bubbling inside, hushed, as he appears. He is out of the van! There is a moment to snap a photo as he adjust himself and gear, and he's off. With less than a minute to behold the man, he has set off on the trail at an alarmingly quick clip for a man who has already climbed a half dozen mountains that day, or the 50+ more he's done in the previous days. It's just after 7pm. He'll be climbing in the dark and in the rain.

We stay and enjoy the vibe in the air and talk with all the fans and support team. It turns out Andrew is definitely on schedule to be the new record holder and that a group would be climbing to the finish line at 11,200' (exactly where we were earlier that day) to celebrate his accomplishment. If all went well, he would be expected around 1:30 pm.

Hold up! Were we actually contemplating repeating our hike, in the middle of the night, in the rain!? Yes we were, and we did!

After a quick run into town for dinner, a 5hr energy drink and more supplies. We end up picking up a young man at the diner who seemed delighted at the adventure. We started back up the trail at 10pm, exactly 12 hours after we started the first time.

This time seems much easier as I'm inspired by the athletes and tales of the day. We reach the destination, where the revelry is slight at the moment considering the cold and dark wait. More people show up until the crowd is several dozen. The energy picks up as reports come in of updated arrival expectations. There are cowbells, glow sticks, headlamps, noisemakers, congratulation signs and freezing cold smiles all awaiting the distant dot of a headlamp to appear over the ridge in the far distant. We huddle, jump, rub, and shiver to combat the cold wait. Many high mountain stories are told and the camaraderie thickens. Andrews wife, mother and two of his kids are here to show their support. The former record holder, "Cave Dog", has just arrived after flying in from Oregon. He's here to show his awe and support of the man who one-upped him.

And then we see it. A far distant glow of a headlamp bouncing its way down the mountain. The mountain vibrates with roars and cheers. I wonder if he can hear us from here. Surely he sees all the headlamps indicating his nearing finish line. It takes an agonizingly long time as his light disappears and reappears several times as he makes his way down the mountain, over the ridges, around the rocks and then...

It's like the rockstar has arrived! We explode into a cacophony of celebration and congratulations! Champagne! Speeches! The passing of a torch. All this hoorah at 2am, at 11,000'! Surreal.

After a bit, we start heading down the trail in a long snake of headlamps. What a sight for the bewildered early start climbers who are starting up the trail for their summit day attempt, who come around the corner and are halted by dozens of energetic revelers.

This has been an unexpected, thrilling and inspirational trip. The astounding and inspiring humans I have been surrounded by stir lofty dreams in my head. I hope to hold on to this sensation and use it to propel me towards more adventure, aspirations and full living.

Thank you mountaineers! Thank you Mareshah! Thank you hotshots! Thank you Andrew Hamilton! Thank you human spirit!

Thank you Colorado.

The following user would like to thank Joiex for this post
Norris

Return to General