STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Theonestar

by Theonestar » Fri May 18, 2007 8:08 pm

GEM Trail wrote:Hey Alpinist and Neostar, we might do Hoosier Hill this summer, too. Probably just a drive by, but we are always looking for something local to see or do nearby. Any suggestions?

There is nothing in the area (of which I am aware-sits on the Ohio/Indiana border). The hill only actually sits something like 30 feet above the surrounding areas. After the Hill-if you want to drive west-drive through Indianapolis if you want something to see-it isn't nature, but the city is doing a nice job in renovations.

GEM Trail

by GEM Trail » Fri May 25, 2007 8:28 am

Here's a question: I wonder where people who do highpoints draw the line between a worthy climb and a slag heap? Not having climbed them all I can't say for sure, but I would put it somewhere around Backbone Mountain in Maryland and Spruce Mountain in West Virginia. Backbone is basically a big hill with a little bit of rocks on the top. you didn't get any view until you hit a clearing at the top. It was a hike up a hill. I think it has to be just a little bit harder for me to consider it a climb. Now the next state down, West Virginia, if you hike that from the bottom, even though it is also just a hill and not technical, is has 3000 feet of vertical relief.

Somewhere in between there I'd call it a mountain! What do you think?

no avatar
k2excursion

by k2excursion » Wed May 30, 2007 2:04 am

I've done 41 highpoints since I started 8 years ago. It has taken me places I otherwise wouldn't be able to see. Whether it's a tough climb up a mountain or a simple drive-up along farmland that's 2 inches higher than the surrounding landscape, it's all worth it. They are all great experiences, although the tougher ones and the nicer views do stick out. The 9 that I haven't done are actually some of the toughest. I've done 4 different multi-highpoint road trips over the years, 3 consisted of 7 new highpoints each and the other consisted of 10 new highpoints. The others have mainly come one per trip, either as a weekend trip close to home or a difficult mountain that took up most of my time. I plan to do Utah this summer, and maybe Nevada. I have many stories to tell about the ones I've done and attempted but failed on, but there's too much to tell to get into here. Anyone can post to me and ask questions, and I'll reply when I get a chance. Please, no posts about the worthiness of highpointing. I'm not here to debate whether my hobby is worth my or your time. I'm here so we can share our experiences and tell our stories.

Dartmouth Hiker

by Dartmouth Hiker » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:13 am

I started highpointing out of the blue in 1999 (the summer after 6th grade). Sadly, owing to family situation and simple travel difficulty, I summited my last highpoint to date--Charles Mound in IL--in late 2001. Ever since, I've occupied my time with county highpoints, mostly in New England, and other hikes in the area.

I've climbed basically everything in the Eastern Time Zone (though I think Florida or Michigan, neither of whose HPs I've climbed, might be there too), but nothing beyond...until now. With my parents now in AZ, I'm hoping to bag Humphreys in late summer this year. Hopefully, more to come in this part of the country :?

My most favorite highpoints probably remain the four northernmost I've done: Katahdin (knife edge), Washington (Huntington Ravine), Marcy (van Hoevenberg) and Mansfield (LT). The first two of these especially rank among my most memorable hikes.

Someday I'll get those pesky Plains States as well :wink:

LonePeakFreak

by LonePeakFreak » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:31 am

mad maximus wrote:
Ice9 wrote:
I don't know if we'll ever do Denali, but every other state highpoint is well within reach for a fit, determined person with common sense and just a little skill.

Don't count yourself out, Denali is certainly in reach for you if you are truely fit, have some skill, and are most importantly determined.

Shit, half the reason I am doing the others is to justify Denali to my wife :shock:

HA HA! SOOOOOO TRUE! :lol:

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:09 pm

Anyone going to be hitting the highpoints of Indiana or Ohio this weekend? I'm going to visit Campbell Hill on Saturday, and Hoosier Hill on Sunday. :)

gwave47

Indianna and Ohio

by gwave47 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:26 pm

Not this weekend, but I'm headed that way one weekend next month. How many highpoints are you at so far?

GEM Trail

by GEM Trail » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:46 pm

Cypress and I will be going there on the 28th or 29th if anyone is going then.

Anyone going to the highpointers convention? I think its in Wisconsin this year.

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:22 pm

I'm not going to make the convention. (I'd much rather attend an SP gathering!) With OH and IN this weekend, I'll have 20 state HPs. I'll be on Boundary Peak next month.

Dubs

by Dubs » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:55 pm

I started Highpointing this summer and I absolutely love it! The drive through the states and eating the regional food is half the fun. I'm going to be doing Mt Davis, Backbone Mt and Spruce Knob on the 28th/29th, anyone else planning on being there??

Holsti97

by Holsti97 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:57 pm

GEM Trail wrote:Anyone going to the highpointers convention? I think its in Wisconsin this year.

I will be going to my first Highpointers Convention. (It's only 30 miles from my house.) I haven't climbed Timms Hill yet, even though it is in my home state. I am flying to Salt Lake City tomorrow and then heading for Gannett Peak in Wyoming for 6 days. Timms Hill will be HP #25 for me if I summit Gannett. Wish me luck.

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:09 pm

Good luck on Gannett Doug. That is one of my favorite all time climbs. The Wind River area is absolutely magnificant. Are you going in through Titcomb Basin?

Welcome to SP Dubs...!

Holsti97

by Holsti97 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:35 pm

Alpinist wrote:Good luck on Gannett Doug. That is one of my favorite all time climbs. The Wind River area is absolutely magnificant. Are you going in through Titcomb Basin?

Welcome to SP Dubs...!

Thanks George! We are going via the Glacier Trail from Dubois. Will be hiking up to Double Lake then through Downs Fork Meadows up to the Tarns Camp and then up the Gooseneck Glacier to the summit. It is a longer total hike, but summit day should be shorter.

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:56 pm

Good call. Summit day from Titcomb Lake is brutal.

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:44 pm

I called the school and Campbell Hill is now open on Saturdays all year round from 7am - 7pm. Thanks for the tip though. :)

PreviousNext

Return to General