Taking bets now...

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
Big Benn

Re: Taking bets now...

by Big Benn » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:52 pm

ShortTimer wrote:I heard a rumor that Guyzo was gonna quit drinking beer for a while to trim down to his 'fighting weight'. So I am taking bets on how long he can go without drinking significant quantities of beer. I would not expect a total elimination so I wouldn't even try to bet on that. While we're at it, we could also take guesses at the total amount of weight that will be lost.

Who's playing?

Don't do it Guyzo, it doesn't work!

All these years SP's very own Ugly Fat Bastard was really quite pleased with his beer gut. Totally convinced it was the beer that had made it.

But I stopped drinking beer, (and all other alcohol), mid November last year. (While a health problem unrelated to alcohol gets sorted).

Result on my weight? Am I now SP's Ugly Slim Bastard?

Am I heck. Haven't lost even a bloody ounce. :cry:

Guyzo

Re: Taking bets now...

by Guyzo » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:47 pm

Bryan Benn wrote:
ShortTimer wrote:I heard a rumor that Guyzo was gonna quit drinking beer for a while to trim down to his 'fighting weight'. So I am taking bets on how long he can go without drinking significant quantities of beer. I would not expect a total elimination so I wouldn't even try to bet on that. While we're at it, we could also take guesses at the total amount of weight that will be lost.

Who's playing?

Don't do it Guyzo, it doesn't work!

Am I heck. Haven't lost even a bloody ounce. :cry:

That's pretty sad, fat boy :wink: What do you think is up with that. You still eating the chips? :wink:

I think I have dropped about 3 lbs. Not to much, I still am sporting a beer gut. :roll:

Bryan, let me ask you something.

Are beer guts fashionable in the UK?

You do seem to get the young hot chicks out with you in those hills, is it the gut? or something else? :) :lol:

gk :wink:

ksolem

by ksolem » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:28 pm

The equation is simple really. Calories taken in vs. calories burned.

Google will find you the calories in most foods and beverages, and you can get an idea of the rate at which different body types consume them.

The best thing you can do is to keep a little book, and during each day write in it everything you consume: food, drinks etc. Then look at it and add it up the next morning.

:shock:

One thing most people find right away is that they are not drinking enough water.

Then get another little book and keep an excercise log. The first book should see progressively fewer entries while the second should see progressively more.

Do this and you will shrink.

Big Benn

by Big Benn » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:53 pm

I've been running an exercise book for the last 4 -5 years. Last year was quite poor as my damned mystery bug, (the reason I have abandoned alcohol for the present), hit hard and often, seeing me walk a mere 1600 miles with 253,000 feet of vertical ascent during the year. The bug hitting really hard in Mid November meant a whole 3 weeks with no walking. :cry: Then a slow recovery that I am still going through. I haven't done a walk with 3,000 feet of ascent or more in one go since last Spring! (That was a nine and a half hour walk I did in the Snowdonian mountains with Lolli, and it included more than 4,000 feet of ascent). But I'm working hard on getting back to that at present. :D

And my eating is generally "healthy". Low fat meat. Loads of salad, fresh vegs and fruit etc.

But I've fought a battle with my weight my whole life and just accept the shape I am now. I'd love to lose a bit to get my ascent rate better than 1,000 feet an hour. But I just don't think that will ever happen.

ksolem

by ksolem » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:12 pm

Wow Bryan - this "mystery bug" sounds like a drag... This thing cannot be diagnosed?

But even with the bug, you're leaving me with some serious catching up to do in miles and elevation. At least in rate of climb I'm still ahead of you though... :wink:

Big Benn

by Big Benn » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:06 pm

EVERYone is ahead of me in ascent rate! LOL. I am so slow uphill.

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:02 pm

Bryan Benn wrote:EVERYone is ahead of me in ascent rate! LOL. I am so slow uphill.

Me to, I just don't stop on the flats....

Brian so lets get this straight. You feel sick, you give up Beer and you feel even more sick....

The solution is obvious to me: you need to go drink a few pints, right now.

Your suffering from Lack of beer. :lol:

Don't worry, its treatable and has a 100% success rate.

Note: returned home after climbing some on Sat.... swilled down a whole 32oz of "Miller's".. "The Champagne of Bottled Beer"...... :wink: :roll: :wink:

Big Benn

by Big Benn » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:24 pm

Guyzo wrote:
Bryan Benn wrote:EVERYone is ahead of me in ascent rate! LOL. I am so slow uphill.

Brian so lets get this straight. You feel sick, you give up Beer and you feel even more sick....

Note: returned home after climbing some on Sat.... swilled down a whole 32oz of "Miller's".. "The Champagne of Bottled Beer"...... :wink: :roll: :wink:

Sadly, at present, I've lost the taste for alcohol. :cry:

For the first time since I was 12 years old! :shock:

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:39 pm

Bryan Benn wrote:
Guyzo wrote:

Sadly, at present, I've lost the taste for alcohol. :cry:

For the first time since I was 12 years old! :shock:

Bryan.... very sorry to hear that :cry: :cry: Any hope of a recovery?

keep us posted, we are all with you.

graham

by graham » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:49 pm

Happy St. Patty's Day bump.

For anyone taking side bets, I've dropped about half a stone but still haven't led my 5.11 yet.
I figure another half of stone might get me in fighting shape.
My New Year's resolution is to unload 2 stones of crisco :oops:
Surely a few pints of Guinness tonight will help :D

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:23 pm

Up Date......

ShortTimer is really starting to find the "groove".

Last weekend he sent some fine lines at JT, leading 5.10 old skool, with thin pro, is how you get back to 5.12.

I need to work harder on my "head"...

Jeffery Lieberman...... wow, he has the bit between his teeth now. He was able to do a "tall persons climb"..... 2nd or 3rd try, after using short's beta. Nice job.

Summer is just over the horizon.

The B&Y is standing tall and proud just waiting for the few who dare.

We will keep ya posted.

Previous

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander