Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

The stupid things I did before I knew better...

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.

Postby tyler4588 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:26 pm

On my first backpacking trip, we didn't have a backpacking stove, so we took a two stove Coleman range with three propane tanks onto the trail. We brought six cans of chili and we only stayed out for one night. The chili did not sit well...
tyler4588

Postby Gafoto » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:53 pm

tyler4588 wrote:On my first backpacking trip, we didn't have a backpacking stove, so we took a two stove Coleman range with three propane tanks onto the trail. We brought six cans of chili and we only stayed out for one night. The chili did not sit well...

I had a Carls Jr. breakfast burrito just before hiking up Mount Whitney. Worst idea in the history of mankind. Bar none.
Gafoto

The stupid things I did before I knew better

Postby Ambret » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:38 am

My first time on a big mountain (Shasta), my college buddy and I got to 12,500' before turning back due to rockfall. After breaking camp at Helen Lake, we headed down but did not bother to put crampons, thinking the snow was soft. And before you know it, I'm on my back sliding down fast. First thought: "Roll to left, use ice axe for self-arrest." Second thought: "Uh, that would be the ice axe that is firmly strapped to the backpack?" Fortunately, I stopped before the snowfield ran out onto some very uncomfortable looking rocks. Dusting the snow and ice off, I turned to see my friend sliding down the slope, fortunately also stopping just in time. Me: "You slip too?" Him: "No, it just looked like a fast way to get down."
Ambret

Stupid

Postby stonefree » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:35 am

I remember being eight or nine years old and climbing a 60 degree dirt cliff near my house. My brother and I would take took two claw hammers and used them like ice axes to claw into the dirt and pounded in ten inch tent stakes as protection. It's good that no one ever slipped.
Travis
stonefree

I used to

Postby eazup » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:25 pm

rappel on 1/4" nylon cord from the hardware store with a munter hitch and a screwlock, using a harness I tied from a piece of said rope. Also thought it was fun to test the dynamic properties by free falling before coming to a screeching halt. :shock:
eazup

Postby sierragator » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:02 am

Me and another climber ascending hard, frozen snow up the north face of Thor with crampons, but no ice axes. Got very lucky on that one and it was a dumb move. We were both newbies at the time.
sierragator

Postby Mark Straub » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:18 pm

Carrying about 5 pounds of sugar, 4 liters of water, a messkit, and other assorted crap up Mt. Pugh, normally a one-day mountain that we made two. My pack was 45 pounds, and I was wearing cotton. As I always did, until I found out it is a bad idea in the PNW to wear cotton even to take out the trash.

Scrambling up a frozen waterfall, approximately 30 degrees at the bottom steepening to 40. Wouldn't be too bad, if I had crampons, ice axe, experience, or boots. I didn't. I was wearing sneakers, stranded on the top of an ice flow. I almost died. I learned a valuable lesson from that trip.

-Mark
Mark Straub

Postby Castlereagh » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:36 pm

Dartmouth Hiker wrote:oh, and my dad thought it'd be a good idea to climb the mountain in a dress shirt and polyester pants.

nothing wrong with that. I make it a point to climb in dress shirts or polo's and work slacks. I call it "Mountain Casual"
Castlereagh

Postby tom johnson » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:27 am

1969. On leave before vietnam. Grand Canyon. Friend and I decide to hike down. Meet girls the night before. Eat spaghetti and drink Red Mtn wine. Throw up spaghetti and RMW. Sleep late. Friend's left. Hungover. Decide to walk down. Decide as a little challenge to not drink water. Reach river in a bad state. Drink much, much water. Sleep 12 hours on a picnic table. No sleeping bag. Food? Can't remember. Hike out the next day.
tom johnson

The following user would like to thank tom johnson for this post
Buz Groshong

Postby Hotoven » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:28 pm

tom johnson wrote:Decide as a little challenge to not drink water.

Man, sounds like a great idea!
Hotoven

Postby tigerlilly » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:30 am

I went winter camping once with a group from the MIT outing club. One of the guys brought a 6" wheel of Brie cheese for him to eat and nothing else. It got down to minus 20 that night. It was so cold, the guy decided to sleep with it in his sleeping bag. Didn't help! Next morning it was hard as concrete. To his credit, he TRIED to eat it. We felt sorry for him and shared our oatmeal and hot chocolate with him.

:-)
tigerlilly

Postby Sleighty » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:53 am

Decided it was "summer" and "warm" up on San Gorgonio in September a few years back, so decided we could leave sleeping bags at home and bring a fleece blanket each. Would've been a good idea to check that the blankets were even long enough...they were those throw kind...so basically neck to shin length. Woke up balled up together in the corner of the tent, and then left on a day hike of the local peaks with two packs of cheese and crackers (those little kraft ones with the fake cheese).

Ya know...this wan't too long ago...
Sleighty

Postby Hotoven » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:18 pm

tigerlilly wrote:I went winter camping once with a group from the MIT outing club. One of the guys brought a 6" wheel of Brie cheese for him to eat and nothing else. It got down to minus 20 that night. It was so cold, the guy decided to sleep with it in his sleeping bag. Didn't help! Next morning it was hard as concrete. To his credit, he TRIED to eat it. We felt sorry for him and shared our oatmeal and hot chocolate with him.

:-)

Now just replace the word "One of the guys" with "I". And that would be more accurate. haha :D
Hotoven

Re: The stupid things I did before I knew better...

Postby jordansahls » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:11 am

I was lucky enough to learn basic hiking, mountaineering, and climbing from my father who was expirienced which put me just a little ahead of the curve (at least initially). Still, Like all young punks I thought I was invincable. I headed out in less than ideal conditions to climb the North Face of Shuksan and was nearly sweapt to my death by an avalanche. Man, was that stupid.
jordansahls

Re: The stupid things I did before I knew better...

Postby SeanReedy » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:54 am

1. Well, first I joined this:

2. Then I went with them on a mid-day weekend trip to this:

3 because it was built by this:

SeanReedy

PreviousNext

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander