TR Nominations for the Front Page

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Josh
Site Admin

TR Nominations for the Front Page

by Josh » Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:46 pm

If you come across a TR that is worthy of more publicity, mention it here. It will be considered for the front page.

Aaron Johnson

Re: TR Nominations for the Front Page

by Aaron Johnson » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:15 am

Climbers are interested in what their peers are seeing, doing and experiencing. Much can be learned about our world and our fellow SP members from these trip reports!

Gangolf Haub is currently reading and posting trip reports and articles.

New submitters be sure to read the guidelines below if you'd like to increase your chances of getting your work posted on the front page. Your efforts in writing your reports are appreciated!

WRITERS OUTSIDE THE U.S: The following SP members can help you translate your text to English, IF their schedule allows, or you can post to this thread and see what happens:

Moni German

Gangolf (German)

Misha (Russian)

Nartreb (French & Spanish)

Lower Marmot (Spanish)

Charles (German)

Leviathan (Dutch)

Johan Heersink (Dutch, Chinese & German)

CRITERIA: Please consider the following when suggesting a trip report for the front page.

DATE: The trip report should be a RECENT SUBMISSION, as within the last two weeks or so. New trip reports about an event long ago are fine as long as it's submitted via these guidelines.

WELL WRITTEN and/or GOOD INFORMATION: A trip report that says "we went here, we did this, the end" will not be considered. Photos and links are not required, but may be a plus. Spelling and grammar need not be perfect, but careless submissions cannot be considered. Long paragraphs are hard to read and reports submitted as one "huge block" of text cannot be considered. Reports with inappropriate material or incorrect use of the medium cannot be considered and may be deleted.

SP MEMBERS OUTSIDE THE U.S.:
Due to the obvious language barrier, few reports are submitted from countries other than the U.S. However we have had a few submissions from members outside the United States that have a reasonable command of the English language and they were great reading! If you are an SP member in this situation and you like to write about your experiences in the mountains, you are encouraged to contribute a trip report. Use of the English language is an obvious requirement, but it does not need to be perfect as long as it can be clearly understood.

The trip report situation is monitored closely and this thread will be maintained and kept visible on the first page of the SITE FEEDBACK section. Thanks to the members that have chimed in with suggestions on this thread. Your input is encouraged, welcomed and will certainly be relied upon in the future. Your suggestions do not go unnoticed!

Please continue to make your suggestions here. Your participation in this process is one of the things going on that makes SP great![/url]
Last edited by Aaron Johnson on Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

Dmitry Pruss

by Dmitry Pruss » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:48 am

Is this thread still active? Or the selection is done through different channels nowadays?

I left a let's-put-it-on-the-front-page comment on this page but the author thought that it was too late already. Is this an accurate understanding? Is there a formal deadline after which a TR is considered too stale for the front page?

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

by Gangolf Haub » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:44 pm

MOCKBA wrote:Is this thread still active? Or the selection is done through different channels nowadays?

I left a let's-put-it-on-the-front-page comment on this page but the author thought that it was too late already. Is this an accurate understanding? Is there a formal deadline after which a TR is considered too stale for the front page?

Generally I look only at the TRs which appeared during the last seven days. Currently about a dozen of them come up and it is rather easy to make a selection. However, if the TR writer had another report on the front page a week before I choose different ones. Also there will be only one tr by a given writer on the front page. I don't recall my decision but I recall the tr, which was in the running but somehow didn't make it.

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:46 pm

The front page is full of nepotism, which makes it quite boring. I concur it needs to be reinvented.

Foxy Long Bottoms

by Foxy Long Bottoms » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:00 pm

Just about any of mountain man Dan's are worthy of mention. He takes time to really describe his stuff in detail and is a good writer to boot. Wise beyond his years.

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:14 pm

Dow Williams wrote:The front page is full of nepotism, which makes it quite boring. I concur it needs to be reinvented.

From Webster's: "favoritism (as in appointment to a job) based on kinship." Who are the people related to each other on the front page?

I nominated one of the recent pages -- dwhike's wonderful Smoky Mountains page. We're not related (in fact we've never met), so I don't think there's any nepotism. dwhike does a great job on all his pages, and in fact I'll nominate another of his right now:
http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... ntain.html

And your most recent page too, Dow:
http://www.summitpost.org/area/range/38 ... n-Ice.html
As far as I know, you and I are also unrelated.

I'm not sure what your objections to the front page are. I find most TRs boring, so I don't read them, but always read the areas, ranges and mountains.

Aaron Johnson

by Aaron Johnson » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:06 pm

Dow writes:
The front page is full of nepotism, which makes it quite boring. I concur it needs to be reinvented.

Eh? I don't make the connection there.

Gangolf handles the TRs, and I believe David fills in when he's away. I've noticed no favoritism at all with TR selection. When I was doing TRs, what was posted was pretty much what came in-if it was good enough to warrant extra attention from SP's membership. Sometimes TRs can get pretty dry and there's just nothing worth submitting to the front page. But things are otherwise the same. We work with what we have, and if there's a period when someone writes a series of reports and they are all good enough to be posted, yeah it might appear there's some favoritism going on, but that's not the case. It's what's available at the time, that's all.

The featured page display is looked after by me EVERY DAY. I try to keep it current, but I follow no hard and fast "things must change this much every other day" rule. Things change as needed. Sometimes contributios are going crazy and I can't keep that display moving fast enough! Other times it's pretty quiet so I take that opportunity to rotate through some classics, and I always try to find some gems by the "old ones" to post periodically.

New submissions from current regular contributors, such as Dow, Gangolf and rpc are great to see, but I'm NOT going to post each and every one because they're awesome. I want to try to get everyone some exposure on the home page. SP has plenty of great contributors besides our regular stars. So if Dow had one up recently and he submits four more in the following weeks, out of fairness, I'm going to post great work by other contributors. I've had folks tell me to post my own work (which I've done at their urging), but man, that feels weird.

But I don't play the neopotism card. The favorites I go after are well done pages, full of info and good route photos with good captions. Of course there's many exceptions which happen frequently, and I don't mind. Folks in Europe and South America have more leeway.

I also like to see variety. I like to see area pages and canyons, too, and we've been fortunate enough lately to have a nice mix of stuff. I'd love to see more well done route pages, but again, I work with what comes in or I go digging into the old stuff (usually by member). If I see an older contribution by a member that's not yet appeared on the front page, I'll note it and eventually get around to posting it. I usually go with recommendations from members for pages to be posted, too.

Simply click on the link at the bottom of the display to view past postings, viewable in descending order. The variety of members and material speaks for itself.

Dow percieves the font page as boring and full of neopostism. Everyone's perception is different, and I take that into account and try hard to have a good variety on the front page display. TRs and Articles don't have that luxury sometimes. Judging by fairly constant feedback I get from SP folks, the front page display works well and most perceive it to be a success (especially for those not wanting to wade through What's New). I try to stay in touch with the majority consensus of the membership, knowing well that I cannot make everyone happy, but I simply do my best on a daily basis, choosing good pages to display. I guess if that's favoritism, I stand guilty as charged. But so far no one's called for my lynching yet, so I'm guessing it's an endorsement and to stay the course.

I'm on vacation the next six days, and I hope to have SP access, but if not, sorry-the display might get a little stale. But I'll be tending to it if I can, and certainly of course after I return.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:17 am

This is an older TR, but maybe you could post it on the front page during one of those slower periods. The writing is absolutely amazing, and it's my personal favorite of all trip reports I've read on this site.

http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/170166/notes-from-telescope-peak.html

Alan Ellis

by Alan Ellis » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:43 pm

A nice TR from a winter attempt at Granite Peak, MT:

http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.p ... irm_post=4

Mathias Zehring

by Mathias Zehring » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:06 pm

nice report of a newbee about the very remote and rarely climbed volcano Beerenberg in the Northern Sea.

Alan Ellis

by Alan Ellis » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:47 pm

Alan Ellis

by Alan Ellis » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:03 pm

Dave Dinnell

by Dave Dinnell » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:36 pm

Alan Ellis wrote:

Agreed.

x3 That was great. now back to work :cry:

nartreb

by nartreb » Thu May 14, 2009 9:52 pm

Next