Training for first climb need help

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
no avatar
brrrdog

Re: Training for first climb need help

by brrrdog » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:39 pm

Buz Groshong wrote:Maybe my pack wasn't adjusted properly as far as height of shoulder straps goes, or maybe it was the lack of large enough hips to carry the waist belt without it being too tight (I have had a bit shaved off of one hip for a bone graft and the muscles covering it were moved a bit). This being said, I noticed on my way down from Pisco that loosening the waist belt allowed me to breathe a lot better. I prefer to keep as much weight on the hips as possible, but not at the cost of breathing ability when at a altitude.

Fair enough. And as I mentioned, I too certainly go periods where I loosen the belt from time to time. For example, if you're scrambling you might as well loosen the belt since it's basically just laying on your back anyway.

peninsula

by peninsula » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:55 pm

brrrdog wrote:
peninsula wrote:The only problem I have after long trips is the skin down the sides of my legs will go numb! Annoying, but less so than the discomfort when the shoulders begin to bear the weight of the pack.

Interesting - see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meralgia_paraesthetica. There are some exercises but maybe loosen the belt from time to time? Every once in while i purposely loosen my belt to give my hips a breather.

peninsula wrote:For sores or tender spots under the belt, use thin, porous medical tape to protect the skin. Knowing those areas ahead of the trip is helpful in applying prophylactic taping measures. I use 3M Micropore to do the trick, it works very well. Good for tender spots on the feet, too (heels and/or toes).

Is this better than standard moleskin?

peninsula wrote:Also, keep the heaviest items near the bottom of the pack and as close to the spine as is possible to maintain a lower center of gravity. This will also help in giving the shoulders a bit more relief.

Close to the spine yes. "Bottom" if you're not counting a sleeping bag compartment - Most manufacturers recommend light weight items in the very bottom. Not sure why - maybe to help destribute the load from the items above it and not sag. Or maybe to keep the bag from pulling away from the sholders. Not sure.

Sounds like a good idea on periodic belt loosening. I do take breathers, but probably could take more as I tend to push myself.

As for the tape, it is far better than mole skin in my hands. Mole skin is too thick and creates more pressure as a result. The 3M product is extremely thin, breaths really well, and has excellent adhesion. You have to play with the direction when applying. For example, on the heel, apply it down the back of the heel and continue it under the foot as opposed to placing it cross ways. I generally reapply daily when using it on my feet, but one application on my hips will last for a few days at a time. I'll use it under a shoulder strap, too, if needed. The 3M Micropore medical tape is a great product; I've experimented with several medical tapes and find it the best performer by far.

As for the bag going in the bottom, I don't understand why manufacturers make that recommendation. Keeping a low center of gravity is important for maintaining better balance when negotiating stream crossings and such. I've taken to packing my sleeping bag under the top sack where I stuff it freely into all the nooks and crannies after everything else is loaded, then I put my rain parka atop the main compartment so it comes out on both sides under the top sack (quick and convenient access). I use an Osprey pack, the Ether 60.

The following user would like to thank peninsula for this post
brrrdog, moonspots

no avatar
alapy

by alapy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:44 pm

First I want to apologize that I didn't read all the posts.

Anyways getting used to the weight on you is important. I kinda panicked myself when I did my first hike with 20+ kg backpack and was pretty dead (because I was going to do certain harder stuff soonish). Kept going few days and after all it wasn't that bad, easy to carry that thing from 7 am to 7 pm. So just walk around with the backpack, preferably some hills, woods and stuff. It is time consuming but way better training (duh, of course it is because it's so authentic) than running for example.

AdamsKerr

by AdamsKerr » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:30 am

PM sent

Previous

Return to Technique and Training