Trap Free Public Lands in Montana

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
madeintahoe

Trap Free Public Lands in Montana

by madeintahoe » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:34 pm

Back in 2009...Montana residents got almost enough signatures to get on the state ballot to vote to ban trapping on public lands...This organization is trying to get enough signatures from residents from Montana to get it put on the November 2014 Ballot. Please go to their website to get more info on this and to sign the petition... They also have a facebook page that has stories of more and more domestic dogs getting caught in traps that are placed on public lands. Being a user of public lands I do not think traps of any kind should be allowed on them...it has gotten to be a public hazard...and more so now since Montana allows the trapping of the Gray Wolf.

Thank you for your consideration on this very important issue

http://www.trapfreemt.org/

distressbark

Re: Trap Free Public Lands in Montana

by distressbark » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:38 pm

Thank you for sharing this. As a former (and hopefully future!) resident of Montana and appreciator of the beauty of its vast public lands, this issue affects me deeply. Wish I could sign!

The following user would like to thank distressbark for this post
madeintahoe

madeintahoe

by madeintahoe » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:06 pm

distressbark wrote:Thank you for sharing this. As a former (and hopefully future!) resident of Montana and appreciator of the beauty of its vast public lands, this issue affects me deeply. Wish I could sign!

Thank you for your concern about this..I too wish I could sign this. Hoping people here take notice of this very important issue

jharrwyo

by jharrwyo » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:50 pm

Thank you Lord for not planting my feet in a place like Montana. In the great state just to the south we voted for a bill that guarantees our right to trap and hunt so that some organization like this cant change what men have been doing for hundreds of years. The majority of trappers strive to trap in an ethical and humane way. We don't like to see animals suffer in any way like some portray us. Too bad a few careless trappers put their videos of trapped animals on the web for all to see. Most just dispatch the animal in a humane way and go on with trapping. Without knowing the facts and talking with ethical trappers I can see how some may see us as evil ruthless killers but I'm telling you for the most part that couldn't be further from the truth. A few bad apples.........well you know the rest.

The following user would like to thank jharrwyo for this post
jdzaharia

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)