Trekking pole parts

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Grampahawk

Trekking pole parts

by Grampahawk » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:19 pm

Maybe an SP'er can help. I've got a set of REI "summit" trekking poles, model 7075-T6 and the middle section expander is stripped so I can't tighten the pole. The poles are manufactured by Komperdell in Austria. I've tried to find replacement parts at REI both locally and on-line. They are no longer getting parts from Komperdell and they suggested I try the company. I've tried contacting Komperdell, no response. I guess I could just continue to use duct tape to keep the pole from collapsing. These poles have been around and I'm attached to them so am not ready to buy a new set. Any ideas are welcome. Also if anyone has a set of similar poles that are broken I'd buy the part.

Cascade Scrambler

by Cascade Scrambler » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:32 pm

I needed parts for a pair of the exact same poles. I bought a pair of returned, nearly destroyed poles at an REI garage sale, and I just frankenstein'd them together to make one fully functioning set.

Grampahawk

by Grampahawk » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:39 pm

RickandRhonda wrote:I needed parts for a pair of the exact same poles. I bought a pair of returned, nearly destroyed poles at an REI garage sale, and I just frankenstein'd them together to make one fully functioning set.
I went through the box of broken poles and none of them had that section. It seems like the other scavangers got their first.

Grampahawk

by Grampahawk » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:31 pm

squishy wrote:If you bought them at REI, just return them and get a new pair...I did just that a few weeks ago...
I suppose I could. But, as I mentioned, I'm kind of attached to them. All of the scrapes tell a tale. :(

HeyItsBen

by HeyItsBen » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:53 am

I used to fix my trekking poles regularly. Then I bought flicklocks. The end.

hikinedd

by hikinedd » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:58 am

Grampahawk wrote:
squishy wrote:If you bought them at REI, just return them and get a new pair...I did just that a few weeks ago...
I suppose I could. But, as I mentioned, I'm kind of attached to them. All of the scrapes tell a tale. :(

The only stories my old Komperdell's tell is how clumsy I was, both of them are bent at every section. My current Lekis will likely be around as long as the company's still in business -- anytime the poles have been bent I call 'em up, they ask the model, which section is damaged and what's my address? Next thing I know I've got the replacement sitting on my porch, no other questions asked.

The only downside of Leki's phenomenal customer service is that I'll likely never get to own poles with the Black Diamond-type flick lock, much easier to use in winter with gloves.

Moni

by Moni » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:36 pm

After having 3 sets of the REI Komperdell poles fail in that manner, we just bought a completely different brand - at that price this stuff shouldn't fail like that. The last set, the shaft itself shattered.

Grampahawk

by Grampahawk » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:12 pm

hikinedd wrote:
Grampahawk wrote:

The only stories my old Komperdell's tell is how clumsy I was, both of them are bent at every section. My current Lekis will likely be around as long as the company's still in business -- anytime the poles have been bent I call 'em up, they ask the model, which section is damaged and what's my address? Next thing I know I've got the replacement sitting on my porch, no other questions asked.

The only downside of Leki's phenomenal customer service is that I'll likely never get to own poles with the Black Diamond-type flick lock, much easier to use in winter with gloves.

I finally decided to return them. REI replaced them for free. Good customer service. I'm sure my new poles will get beat up soon enough. Next time around I'll probably get the Leikis.

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:49 pm

benjamingray wrote:I used to fix my trekking poles regularly. Then I bought flicklocks. The end.

+1

OJ Loenneker

by OJ Loenneker » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:54 am

Borut Kantušer wrote:Has any company yet proposed trekking poles which can be used as tent poles?

A little off topic, I know, but I was just curious to hear.

Umm, yeah. It's just the tent manufacturers that answered that call..

Return to Gear