us healthcare - a focused discussion

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Castlereagh

by Castlereagh » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:35 pm

Some kind of health insurance reform so that coverage is guaranteed to people with preexisting conditions, and people can't lose their insurance if they're sick. I'm against freeloaders, but if someone WANTS to pay for insurance, they should have the right to pay for it. Somehow this extra coverage needs to be paid though. Maybe these people need to pay a reasonable higher premium (not something through the roof). Maybe an individual mandate is required so insurance companies don't lose money.

no avatar
Husker

by Husker » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:45 pm

They should be able to get Cobra for 18 months, yes its expensive, but better than paying for 2 days hospital bill per month.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:58 pm

You don't have to lose your job for this to happen; all you have to do is change jobs. If you're going from one health insurance policy to another, pre-existing conditions clauses should not be allowed to apply as long as you have been insured under one or more policies for the length of the waiting period.

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:34 pm

Some simple changes might do a lot of good.
One thing I never hear talked about is the "County Medical System" we have in place. You know, you have zero insurance, zero money, you always went to "County" :cry:

Why not properly fund and staff these hospitals. Make them the the local doctor to the poor/ under insured.

In the military you went to "sick call" ... you got to see a doctor for a few minutes, they can quickly tell if you need a couple of aspirin or a trip to the hospital.

Insurance. Lets let all of them compete across the entire USA for business.

I am sure that there are a lot of little things that we could that might iron out some problems.

Turning the entire health care industry upside down with some "Democrat Idea" might just sink it.

And the "Republication Idea" has been one of total inaction, in the last 15 years so they are no help.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:25 pm

peladoboton wrote:
MikeTX wrote:
peladoboton wrote:true in many cases but not all. my wife has a clotting disorder (which has cost us $20K at a time before) and we have not had any trouble when we have switched employment.

did you have a coverage gap?

yup.

Insurance companies call coverage gaps "profit centers." They all try to make their policies look just like the other compnies' policies, but then they try to stick in some fine print that will enable them to deny a bit of coverage here and there and make a bit of extra profit.

no avatar
Husker

by Husker » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:47 pm

Not that anyone gives a rats ass what I think, Auto Insurance isa better model. You pay cash for little stuff-sore throat, shoulder impingement shot, physical therapy, xrays etc. You pay into a plan for catastrophic problems-cancer treatment, stroke etc.

IMAO

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:30 pm

Husker wrote:Not that anyone gives a rats ass what I think, Auto Insurance isa better model. You pay cash for little stuff-sore throat, shoulder impingement shot, physical therapy, xrays etc. You pay into a plan for catastrophic problems-cancer treatment, stroke etc.

IMAO

That's the kind of health insurance I've now got: $1500 deductible.

Return to General