Devil's Postpile NM Camping

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
SoCalWingNut

Devil's Postpile NM Camping

by SoCalWingNut » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:11 pm

Hello everyone. I am planning to hike the general area around Devil's Postpile National Monument in the next few weeks (Rainbow Falls, Thousand Island Lake, etc.). Due to circumstances at work, I cannot plan too far in advance, so it appears as if I will need to secure a first come first served site in the general area (Pumice Flat, NPS Campground, etc.) between August 9 and August 23.

My question is, what are my chances to obtain a site on a Saturday (4 days)? I have no idea what to expeect as far as availablity, so any help from folks who have done this sort of thing before would be great.

obsidian

Re: Devil's Postpile NM Camping

by obsidian » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:06 am

SOCALWINGNUT,
The July Fourth weekend up here was pretty crowded,...I'm sure all the campgrounds were maxed out.
I have no idea what to expect as far as availability, either.
There is so much area up here that is available, though, that you could go just about anywhere.
Do you have kids ? A huge RV ? Some other restriction ?
Here is: Devil's Postpile Camping Information, National Park Service

phydeux

by phydeux » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:55 am

i'm assuming you're looking for drive-in car campground sites? Look at the link Obsidian provided above and you'll see (near the bottom) that there are a few campgrounds where you can reserve a site. Reservations for those campgrounds (if federal) can be found on recreation.gov. Summer is really busy around Mammoth Lakes, but there should be a few site left at this time.

no avatar
SoCalWingNut

by SoCalWingNut » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:59 pm

obsidian,
I plan to tent camp with my 22 year old son. Drive up in the SUV and setup.

phydeux, I appreciate the response and I think if I can nail down my vacation I will try for the sure thing in Mammoth Lakes, which I have done before.

Thanks!

Return to California