Late May in the Mountains

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
ComingInHot

Late May in the Mountains

by ComingInHot » Sun May 24, 2015 8:50 pm

I'm headed up to Denver later this week to spend some time outdoors. I have lot of experience hiking and backpacking down south (Arkansas), but have never touched the rockies. I was a bit suprised when I looked up weather and saw that most mountains still have feet of snow on them. I was hoping to climb some mountains, but I don't have gear or experience to do so in snow/ice.

I have 4 days to spend and am willing to drive a while to get to a good spot. Can you recommend any spots that have manageable amounts of snow this time of year? Days hikes or backpack treks would be fine.

WyomingSummits

Re: Late May in the Mountains

by WyomingSummits » Wed May 27, 2015 6:09 pm

The Rockies got pounded with late spring snows. Here in WY we got 3-4 ft in the last 2 weeks over 11k. That was pretty late for that heavy of a snowfall.....although not unheard of. You'll prob have to deal with snow above 9500 in most of CO and WY at this time. That snow line will start rapidly moving upward when we can get a week or so of warm weather and sun, but so far the melt has been elusive. Back in March, we were wondering if many trailheads would be open by May 1,st it was so dry. For the most part, you're not likely to get a snow free ascent of most major peaks until early July. I've been in crampons and axes on walk ups in late June during a heavier snow year/ late snow year....and that was at 11k. Depends on the aspect too.....southern slopes will melt faster.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Wed May 27, 2015 6:48 pm

You could always head to the Grand Junction area, but some of those hikes are starting to get pretty hot.

Tonka

by Tonka » Wed May 27, 2015 8:38 pm

You can look at the Lost Creek Wilderness. I've done things in there during April and May. I'm not sure what the area is like right now but it's fairly close to Denver.

Bill Reed

by Bill Reed » Thu May 28, 2015 1:45 am

WyomingSummits wrote:The Rockies got pounded with late spring snows. Here in WY we got 3-4 ft in the last 2 weeks over 11k. That was pretty late for that heavy of a snowfall.....although not unheard of. You'll prob have to deal with snow above 9500 in most of CO and WY at this time. That snow line will start rapidly moving upward when we can get a week or so of warm weather and sun, but so far the melt has been elusive. Back in March, we were wondering if many trailheads would be open by May 1,st it was so dry. For the most part, you're not likely to get a snow free ascent of most major peaks until early July. I've been in crampons and axes on walk ups in late June during a heavier snow year/ late snow year....and that was at 11k. Depends on the aspect too.....southern slopes will melt faster.

I would agree with WyomingSummits.
Snowpack, especially in the Front Range has gone from barely average in April to close to 200% now in some areas. You'll probably need to stay under 9,500 feet for sure to avoid the snow.
You might try looking at the Front Range http://www.summitpost.org/front-range-co/170949
Not real familiar with this area as I live in Northern Colorado but at a glance- the Boulder Range, Roxborough SP and Coal Creek Canyon have some peaks that may work for you.
Good luck!

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Fri May 29, 2015 11:08 pm

Actually, the snow line in most of Colorado is closer to 11,000-11,500 feet in most places (possibly a little lower in the Indian Peaks/RMNP). That said, above that elevation there is LOTS of it!

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Sat May 30, 2015 12:52 am

Good to know. I was basing it off of what we have in Northern WY, which is around 9-9.5k. I keep forgetting the temp differences. :)

Bill Reed

by Bill Reed » Sun May 31, 2015 3:25 pm

AlexeyD wrote:Actually, the snow line in most of Colorado is closer to 11,000-11,500 feet in most places (possibly a little lower in the Indian Peaks/RMNP). That said, above that elevation there is LOTS of it!

It is lower along the Front Range, at least the northern Front Range. Hiked in RMNP yesterday and starting running into snow at about 9,500 to 9,600ft, more general cover at 10,000. And, as Alexey said, lots of it above there!
Glacier Gorge right, Thatchtop center~May 30, 2015

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Sun May 31, 2015 9:39 pm

Actually, the snow line in most of Colorado is closer to 11,000-11,500 feet in most places (possibly a little lower in the Indian Peaks/RMNP).

The snow level around here (NW Colorado) is at 8500-9000 feet, but I just got back from the southern Sawatch. It is around 11,000 feet down there, but with some patches below that.

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:09 pm

Good points...it also depends a lot on the aspect, and local variations. In the Breckenridge area, it seemed to be around 10-10500' on forested but gently-sloping northerly aspects. Might be a bit lower than that on steeper (i.e. more shaded) north-facing slopes. On south-facing ones, it's often above 11,000.

Return to Colorado