Advice for sleeping bag (VM or FF)

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
cayzi

Advice for sleeping bag (VM or FF)

by cayzi » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:40 pm

Hi!

Looking for new sleeping bag. I will use bag mostly for summer camping and summer trekking where temps can go as low as 0 to - 5C at night (no bivy or tent will be used).

I was looking below bags , where i put comments on each. Can you provide me your feedback if you have any with those bags. I can get really good prices for VM SummerLite and VM MegaLite at this moment (-20% discount).

FF Osprey UL : more fill weight compare to SummerLite, warmer than SummerLite, passive collar - price 550 Euro

FF Swallow UL: warmer than all listed here, passive collar - 590 Euro

VM SummerLite: no collar, higher temp rating and only 275g fill (less than other listed here), temp arround 0 to +2 comfort? - current price with discount 305 €

VM MegaLite: top collar, more fill than SummerLite, bigger than SummerLite (since I am not sure if need it according to my weight and body narrow shape) - 350€

If i compare and price i am very tempted to go with VM. But what i am worried is that MegaLite will be to big and SummerLite to cold for some of the activities when temp will go low.
What i like on FF bags is snap zip closure which is more secure and comfortable and i also believe more long lasting compare to velcro.

I also checked at PHD sleeping bags where i have custom option. Prices are around 550 Euro for my preference (-2, 900 fill, 350g fill weight, full zip, etc. Drishell or Ultrashell-40g lighter waterproof fabric, etc.)

Thanks anyone for tips.

Take care!

no avatar
AdanClinton

Re: Advice for sleeping bag (VM or FF)

by AdanClinton » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:12 am

Where did you plan to go ?Maybe you can find it on amazon.

connollyck

by connollyck » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:14 am

I have owned a dozen of these bags (literally) from both manufacturers. You can't go wrong with a bag from either. Feathered Friends 3 season bags do not have as comfortable of hoods as Western Mountaineering, but I also prefer the snap closure. I have a FF Swallow UL with 3 OZ overfill and highly reccomend it. The bag lofts enough in the chest/collar area to get a good seal without having a dedicated collar.

no avatar
aleksi

by aleksi » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:37 pm

I will add my side on this thread, and ask for advice too

I have recently found some British and Canadian companies that make (I think) pretty decent sleeping bags and tents

Some of them go down to -40F and have double layers and all these hi-tec stuff

Tents are also made well, with some super-protective layers and etc

I am planning trekking tour in Himalayas next year, Everest BC, and possibly Nanga Parbat BC too

I think of buying these equipment, because their -15F to -40F perfectly fits April's Everest Base Camp temperature

What Summit Post members think about this! will I be freezing in Chinook/Vango sleeping bags? or not?

Do I really have to pay several K for Mammut, NorthFace, Kelty and etc? or these small companies are good too

I have no desire to pay X5 more money in super popular and advertised equipment and then stay at home 'cause no money left for air-tickets :D

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:52 pm

I have owned both FF and VM. Both are top quality and you cannot go wrong with either brand. Based on the cost, I would go VM and opt for the Megalite. These are not 'big' bags, they are all efficiently cut. I don't think you will find it too big, and it is nice having a warmer than necessary bag sometimes. My 1997 +15 F VM Apache Super Dryloft is one of the best and most used pieces of kit I've owned. From spring in the AK Range to winter on Rainier and summer in the Tetons it worked well for everything.

Kai

by Kai » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:26 am

VM? Vestern Mountaineering?

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:30 pm

Kai wrote:VM? Vestern Mountaineering?

Ist Vestern Mountaineering (said with a German ascent).

Return to Gear