Sleeping bags: WM Ultralight vs FF Hummingbird UL

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
Overshot03

Sleeping bags: WM Ultralight vs FF Hummingbird UL

by Overshot03 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:46 am

II am looking at these 2 above bags and have had both FF and WM in the past. These are 2 strikingly similar bags that I am sure will both be high quality. I am looking to use these in the 30’s down to the teens occasionally. I sleep warm and can double up on some extra layers as needed. Any comments on the differences of them? Any thoughts on going for overfill? Thanks!

ExcitableBoy

Re: Sleeping bags: WM Ultralight vs FF Hummingbird UL

by ExcitableBoy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:39 pm

I've owned both FF and WM bags. Can't go wrong with either bag, both are top notch. You could go with 2 - 4 oz of overfill to add some warmth, I think 2 oz of overfill adds about 5 degrees F to the rating.

no avatar
pjc30943

by pjc30943 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:32 am

I have an overfill for both my WM bags (one of them is the Ultralight), and with that addition they are better bags for me (more flexible temp range).
For my taste, the FF fabric is a bit nicer to the touch, but WM is fine too. I like my ultralight fabric. The newest gen of some WM bags have a more crinkly fabric though, which i don't like; WM says it just depends on the batch of material they receive. Previously, all the material was the nicer and softer one.
(Just FYI, if i would have known before i got my Antelope, i might have gone with FF since to me noise quality is important. This takes away nothing from the bag itself)

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:45 am

FWIW, I owned bags made with old fashioned rip stop nylon, Gore DryLoft, NextTec Epic, and Pertex Quantum (maybe Endurance). I think the best of the lot is Pertex, which Feathered Friends uses. Whatever bag you choose, I think spending the extra money for a waterproof breathable shell is a worthwhile investment. I've had my Western Mountaineering Apache Super DryLoft for 20 years now. The MSRP was $450.00, but I got it on sale for $250.00, a princely sum 20 years ago. Even at $450.00 it would have been worth it.

Another note, higher fill power loft has become more common place. I think anything higher than 850 is not worth the money. In order to loft fully, such a lightweight fabric must be used that durability is compromised.

no avatar
Overshot03

by Overshot03 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:55 am

Thanks all for the insightful feedback. Seems the FF Pertex might be a little more water resistant than the WM fabric. Also seems the WM might breathe a little better. Does that sound accurate?

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:36 pm

Overshot03 wrote:Thanks all for the insightful feedback. Seems the FF Pertex might be a little more water resistant than the WM fabric. Also seems the WM might breathe a little better. Does that sound accurate?

Sounds correct, FWIW, my Pertex bag breathes very well. It is a 30 'summer' weight bag, I use out in the open or under a tarp typically, with no breathability problems. I can't say I have breathability problems with my old school Gore DryLoft bag, either though.

no avatar
Overshot03

by Overshot03 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:11 am

Thanks al for your input. I went for a FF Hummingbird with 2 oz extra fill. It is super puffy, and light. Look forward to using it on trips for years to come.

Return to Gear