Western Mountaineering -- Thanks The Chief!

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
thespiffy

Western Mountaineering -- Thanks The Chief!

by thespiffy » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:27 pm

So, I've been hunting down new gear. I've been scraping by in sub-par stuff during conditions it definitely wasn't intended for. Let just say I've been cold for several years, but, pain is weakness leaving the body, right? :)

One particular item I settled on purchasing was a Western Mountaineering bag (Antelope).

Being the poor *cough* frugal shopper I am, I want the best deal I can find, who doesn't? I found a retailer that had what I was looking for on sale. Stoked I was going to save a bit on a stellar product, I still had to wait though. Wedding to attend, trip planned, plus I'm stashing cash in the mattress in hopes of putting a ring on my girlfriends finger.

About a week later I head back to the retailer to make said purchase and was informed they have no more. Bummed, but understood, as the sale price was great and they only had a few. I said "ahh, bummer, you sold them all huh?" The rep begrudgingly informed me that they sent them back to Western Mountaineering. I give them a puzzled look. Rep continues to explain: Because WM was displeased with their low price and would rather have the merchandise returned than sold on sale. That by doing so, the retailer/dealer was in violation of their dealer agreement.

While I fully understand a manufactures desire to protect their suggested pricing. Wouldn't you rather get a good product in to the hands of a consumer whom is likely to spread positive banter about it, leading most likely to further purchases by others of that product.

After all this is exactly how I was turned on to WM.

Just food for thought really, I'm not complaining, just sharing my experience and opening it up for input if anyone so desires.

TLDR; Western Mountaineering enforces price points on their products. On sale WM gear is rare, snap it up when you can.

Edit:

Thanks for your help, Rick, The Chief. I appreciate you pointing me toward a dealer with some WM on sale. My bag is on the way. :D
Last edited by thespiffy on Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lowlands

by lowlands » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:33 pm

I was in the exact same boat as you, wanted a WM bag (Antelope too) but couldn't find one for the price I wanted to pay. Backcountry.com is not allowed to price-match on their bags either, weird, it's their policy, I guess. I do have my Antelope bag now and I love it. Have only used it a couple of times since it's starting to get kinda cold in the evening, but I'm sure I'll spend some time in it this winter. What I can tell now, is that the quality is top-notch.

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:39 pm

lowlands wrote: What I can tell now, is that the quality is top-notch.

No doubt. When the wind is at 50 knots and it's 40 below outside, That's what I want to be inside, my WM Bag.

MRoyer4

by MRoyer4 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:44 pm

I got a WM bag 20% off through o2gearshop.com a couple years ago. Love it.

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:00 pm

MRoyer4 wrote:I got a WM bag 20% off through o2gearshop.com a couple years ago. Love it.

you're welcome Mike. :D

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:54 pm

I bought my WM Apache Super Dryloft for $250 (retail price: $450) from Dan McHale. He was an authorized dealer of WM bags and when the Swallow's Nest (RIP) was given a dealership Dan got pissed off and sold off all of his WM bags for dirt cheap.

You may try giving Jim Nelson a call (promountainsports.com), he stocks WM bags. On some items he is able to offer a discount, on others he can't but may throw in some free bees like carabiners or silnylon stuff sacks. Also, Second Ascent may have some used WM bags in the store.

rhyang

by rhyang » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:57 pm

I got a WM megalite from backcountry.com about 6 years ago (?) at a discount. Everything goes on sale -- you just have to be patient.

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:58 pm

Does it have to be new? What about buying used? I got my lightly used WM Bison -40 off the MEC online gear swap here in Canada for $400.

http://www.mec.ca/Apps/outdoorGearSwap/ ... 4396038596

no avatar
zeroforhire

by zeroforhire » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:12 am

check geartrade.com (this is where backcountry.com sells their used stuff)

WM bags come up on there every so often. Often used, but good prices.

they recently had a Antelope WS in long up for $350, and an untralight for $320 ish.

paisajeroamericano

by paisajeroamericano » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:53 am

i've noticed that lots of manufacturers of "high-end" products fix their prices in a similar manner... and not just outdoor gear... on two occasions, i've spoken with companies that make forestry/surveying equipment - while they were willing to repair items i already owned, they would not even sell me the products they make, but wanted me to go through the extra hassle of dealing with one of their retailers... all of whom sell the equipment for the same price

but Western Mountaineering gear is definitely worth the price... i own a -10F bag and a +10 ultralite bag... and i'd say they were both worth the absurd gobs of money i paid for them

paisajeroamericano

by paisajeroamericano » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:57 am

oops, i just remembered i did get a 'deal' on my -10 WM bag at a store in colorado that will remain unnamed - i bought a $650 sleeping bag and a $350 down coat and they gave me 10% off the whole thing - i don't know if that counts as a sale, but it was still $100 in my pocket

thespiffy

by thespiffy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:56 pm

zeroforhire wrote:check geartrade.com (this is where backcountry.com sells their used stuff)

WM bags come up on there every so often. Often used, but good prices.

they recently had a Antelope WS in long up for $350, and an untralight for $320 ish.

Thanks much.

I check Geartrade and Ebay in the morning and evening. I know exactly which WS you're referring to, I had it bookmarked and it was my second option. But, unfortunately I missed that too! ;)

thespiffy

by thespiffy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:59 pm

Brad Marshall wrote:Does it have to be new? What about buying used? I got my lightly used WM Bison -40 off the MEC online gear swap here in Canada for $400.

http://www.mec.ca/Apps/outdoorGearSwap/ ... 4396038596

New, no way. New is my second choice if I can't find it used.

I even go as so far to post here in the Gear forum with a WTB and remove it 24-48 hours later if no one has responded as to not clog up the forum with my shopping list.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Call these guys.... everything is 15-20% off in the entire store right now (they carry a large inventory of WM Bags) and I believe they give Free shipping.

(888) 395-3951

http://mammothgear.com/shop/shopdisplay ... +-40-+10+F

Tell em Rick "The Chief" sent ya....

The following user would like to thank The Chief for this post
thespiffy

thespiffy

by thespiffy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:24 pm

The Chief wrote:Call these guys.... everything is 15-20% off in the entire store right now (they carry a large inventory of WM Bags) and I believe they give Free shipping.

(888) 395-3951

http://mammothgear.com/shop/shopdisplay ... +-40-+10+F

Tell em Rick "The Chief" sent ya....

Thanks, I'll give them a call just as soon as the left coast gets in.

Edit:

Thanks Rick! Antelope is on the way. I got it out of there for 400 beans.

Next

Return to Gear