what socks are you wearing with your intuition liners

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
rsf1961

what socks are you wearing with your intuition liners

by rsf1961 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:46 pm

i'm thinking of switching over to intuition liners for my boots and wonder what sock combinations are being used. for skiing intuition recommends thermo-molding the liner using a thin sock. is that what folks are using for climbing boots too or are mountaineering socks still the way to go.

thanks -

ExcitableBoy

Re: what socks are you wearing with your intuition liners

by ExcitableBoy » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:51 pm

I got Intuition liners for my Scarpa Invernos after the stock liners packed out. I wore a single, thin sock when I had them molded, but wear three pairs with the boots (liner, vbl, thick sock) because the fit is much sloppier than the orginal liners. Not sure if they were molded poorly or if that is just the deal with them. In my ski boots (Dynafit) the fit is much better and I wear a single, wool ski sock with them.

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:40 am

I had my Intuition Denali liners fitted at Neptune Mountaineering in Boulder about 5 years ago. I wore a regular/thick sock, then they put the foam toecap over that, then a medium sock over all that. So in theory they were fitted with two medium socks, plus space provided by the toecap. ie. wriggle room.

They fit reasonably well and I normally wear a thin + thick combo. eg. Ultimax liner sock + Smartwool or ThorLo Expedition sock or similar.

no avatar
logsden

by logsden » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:34 pm

Fit mine totally different from the two above. Used only a very thin liner and a toe cap for the fitting (and a superfeet insole). Also wrapped a ski boot power strap around the cuff as they cooled to keep the whole liner flush with my calf. This was all per a couple conversations with the Intuition folks themselves (who were SUPER helpful and happy to give pointers).

I typically wear them with only a single, medium weight merino wool sock. They fit perfectly. Oddly, they feel too short when I initially put them on. Once I have walked/skied/approached for a short distance, my heels get sucked back into the pocket properly and they feel excellent with just enough wiggle room for my toes and almost zero heel lift.

edit: clarification/additions

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:21 am

logsden wrote:... (and a superfeet insole). Also wrapped a ski boot power strap around the cuff as they cooled to keep the whole liner flush with my calf.

Yep, I forgot, did that on mine too.

I like it on top

by I like it on top » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:21 am

I fit mine to a pair of Vasque Ice 9000 and they were molded with a liner sock and expedition weight wool sock. I use them for ice climbing and mountaineering. Since they work so well and keep my feet very warm, when in use, I usually wear just a liner sock or a lightweight wool sock over the liner. At high altitude I wore a heavy weight wool sock and my socks got wet from persperation. Good luck.

The following user would like to thank I like it on top for this post
rsf1961

no avatar
rsf1961

by rsf1961 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:58 pm

I like it on top wrote:I fit mine to a pair of Vasque Ice 9000...

i have a pair of ice 9000's also. did you go with the intuition denali liners or one of their thinner liners because the stock liner on the ice are so thin. did you go equal size-for-size between the boots and liners and did you have a lot of foot room with the original liner/boot combination.

thanks

Dane1

by Dane1 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:12 pm

I used them in Spantiks with 2 lwt liner siocks.

The following user would like to thank Dane1 for this post
rsf1961

Return to Gear