where is

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
visentin

where is

by visentin » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:49 pm

OK, the aim is not to know why, who's fault... I don't want to know.
One of our most prolific contributors has disappeared. He had produced a very valuable content about his part of the Slovenian Alps. Is his work gone for ever ?
I will deeply regret his photos and all the pages he wrote. What a loss of knowledge for SP :( Whatever is the reason he is gone, isn't there any way to get back his pages online, for example for adoption ? (well, not me but anyone willing to)
Eric

barrys

by barrys » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:19 pm

No, it's Borut?? Borut is gone? Say it ain't so.

Very disappointing. That is a big big loss for SPs euro content.

If you happen to read this sir, all the best, good luck and all that. I read many of your contributions and learned alot. Thanks and sorry to see you go.

visentin

by visentin » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:23 pm

butitsadryheat wrote:http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52453
I think this is what you are referring to?

No.

kamil

by kamil » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:54 pm

Yeah it's about Borut a.k.a. simpson. He's just disappeared out of the blue. He must've asked one of the elves to delete his account, I can't see another possibility. Anyone know what happened?

Borut, I hope you're alright and you'll be back soon...

hansw

by hansw » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:24 pm

kamil wrote:Yeah it's about Borut a.k.a. simpson. He's just disappeared out of the blue. He must've asked one of the elves to delete his account, I can't see another possibility. Anyone know what happened?

That’s bad. This used to be a nice place. :(

Ejnar Fjerdingstad

by Ejnar Fjerdingstad » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:30 pm

hansw wrote:
kamil wrote:Yeah it's about Borut a.k.a. simpson. He's just disappeared out of the blue. He must've asked one of the elves to delete his account, I can't see another possibility. Anyone know what happened?

And know it is a place where people disappear "bei Nacht und Nebel"!

Big Benn

by Big Benn » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:43 pm

I do so hope it wasn't the "quotation" thread that caused Simpson to leave.

I was involved in that thread, which I thought had become very light hearted. There was nothing nasty going on in there at all. Simpson seemed to be joining in the banter after the serious start. Joining in the banter until his last post there, in response to a post by me. He seemed to have gone very serious again about the thread, so I replied that my last post was jocular. I went back and he had deleted his post.

Then he left us. :cry:

The elves must know what happened there, as they have now deleted that thread. And can tell us no doubt if that thread was the reason he left us.

kamil

by kamil » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:59 pm

The thread is still there when I googled it, apparently in 'off route'.

http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB2/viewto ... &start=105

But it's not listed in the off route index, as if it was sent to 'never never land' as someone called it.

Or just google >> 'strange quotations' summitpost << and find a copy, cos I won't be surprised if this link becomes inactive soon.

Just had a look through the last posts and there is nothing offensive there. So why would it be deleted?

P.S. There's no google copy, althouth the link I gave is now still active.

Big Benn

by Big Benn » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:17 pm

Thanks kamil. Re-read the thread, and can't see anything nasty in there.

I remember now that Simpson's last post picked up a joke I had made about his post count a few days and a few pages earlier. I'd ended that particular post with a wink, to make sure it was taken as a joke.

I have no idea why Simpson should have quoted that post of mine again several days and several pages later. But I replied last night saying it was a joke as I didn't want to offend him. Shortly afterwards Simpson deleted the comment he had made, so I deleted my reply which obviously made no sense on it's own.

Andinistaloco

by Andinistaloco » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:20 pm

Ejnar Fjerdingstad wrote:
hansw wrote:

And know it is a place where people disappear "bei Nacht und Nebel"!

Good point. I can think of no better analogy for the recent happenings on SP than Nazis rounding up their enemies. Actually, now that I think about it, what's occurred on SP is far worse than anything the Nazis ever did. Truly, the elves are far more evil and history will surely view them as such.

Aaron Johnson

by Aaron Johnson » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:53 pm

Kamil wrote me a PM about this, which struck me out of the blue. I'm just as baffled as you guys are. As the Sergeant on Hogan's Heroes used to say, "I know nuttink!"

People leave SP for a million reasons. In this case, I'm hoping Borut is still looking in and sees this thread. He and I have had some niced conversations previously. He even sent me a PM last week wishing me a happy birthday! Hopefully he'll contact me and fill me in. I can try to convince him to stick around, but if folks have their mind made up, then it's made up.

Good point. I can think of no better analogy for the recent happenings on SP than Nazis rounding up their enemies. Actually, now that I think about it, what's occurred on SP is far worse than anything the Nazis ever did. Truly, the elves are far more evil and history will surely view them as such.
:lol:

kamil

by kamil » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:11 am

Can a user actually delete his own account? Submissions yes, but I thought you've got to ask an elf to delete your account. Maybe other elves know something?

Aaron Johnson

by Aaron Johnson » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:15 am

I'll make an inquiry among the staff. You cannot delete your own membership, as far as I know.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:21 am

Isn't there such thing as a "Bermuda Triangle" where people mysteriously disappear into
a fifth dimension of cyberspace ???

Some of them become "lurkers." Others simply vanish into a self-imposed prison.

We can only hope this was NOT the case with Mister Borut.

Next

Return to Site Feedback