Which wild animals have you seen while hiking?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
tonyo

Re: Wich wild animals have you seen while hiking?

by tonyo » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:52 pm

Thousands of scorpions while night hiking in the Mojave Desert with a black light. The scorpions glow under the black light, making them easy to see. Not a place I would like to lay out my sleeping bag.

Once while surfing off Huntington beach I was surrounded by dolphins.

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:41 am

What's the black light tonyo?

rhyang

by rhyang » Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:05 am

Scorpions flouresce under UV light ("black light") :

http://www.southwestwildlife.org/factsh ... orpion.htm

Never seen it myself, but it sounds really cool.
Taaaake !

Aaron Johnson

by Aaron Johnson » Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:40 am

On my recent trip to Peak C, saw not only my first moose in the wild, BUT THREE OF THEM. Two were knocking heads. Then, the BIG BOY came out of the woods. He was massive. He chased both of the smaller ones off with a couple of snorts. His rack must have easily been 8 or 9 feet across. Impressive!

Gumpie

by Gumpie » Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:54 am

The most memorable moment for me was crossing the path with a Bobcat. It was actually in the woods behind our House. We are bordering to a big Park in the southern appalachians where I'm going out several times a week for some short hikes as a work-out. I've spotted it already two times, and I find fresh tracks every day it's snowing.

om

by om » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:04 pm

Last week in high Dauphiné in the Alps :
Chamois -20 members in the team-, chocards, a golden eagle attacking ealy morning young members off the chamois group, a fox... humans...

Have seen a golden eagle at 4 meters distance. he was flying very fast 2 meters over a descending ridge and has been surprised to see somebody at this place at this period and had to slow down in emergency and opened totally his wings just in front of me. The couple of eagles has tried all the day to catch marmots without any success. They were flying hedgehopping to get marmots by surprise.
Ubaye Mountains, Parpaillon group, Mid October 1997.

Moni

by Moni » Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:48 pm

Tibet/Nepal (including the Chitwan): Blue sheep, pika, Asian rhinos, gharwal (weird kind of crocodile), peacocks, egrets, deer, Siberian heron (they stand 6+ feet tall).

Siberia: wolf, deer, puffins, cormorants

North America: white tail deer, mule deer, elk (wapiti) moose, black bear, grizzly bear, big horn sheep, Rocky Mtn goat, pine marten, wolverine, badger, porcupine, chipmunks, squirrels, ground squirrels, marmot, pika, bald eagle, owls, falcon, heron, coyote, ptarmigan, ermin(weasel), grouse of all sorts, buffaloe, all sorts of poisonous and nonpoisonous snakes, turkey, pheasant, cougar, bobcat.......

Europe: martin, ibex, chamois, marmot, eagle, water deer, European elk, damhirsch (kind of reindeer or cariboo, I think), hedgehog, viper, ground squirrel, suqirrel, several kinds of grouse, fox, hare, rabbit, boar......

Rice Climber

by Rice Climber » Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:06 pm

At the basecamp of Nevado Illimani in Bolivia, I camped in a field of Llama and Alpaca dung. I was surrounded by herds of them (llamas and alpacas). It was actually really pretty. Very important to boil the heck out of the water...

Rice Climber

by Rice Climber » Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:13 pm

In Africa, a gigantic African Elephant woke me up from a slumber as it ate from the tree 15 feet from our tent. Good thing he didn't wander in our direction :-) Could've been the end of me...

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:34 am

Moni haven't you seen wild goats, deers, fallow deers and roe deers in Europe? I guess that you haven't visited Spain yet

Moni

by Moni » Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:41 am

Roe deer are the same as water deer. No wild goats. Fallow deer may be damhirsch - I know the German names but not the accurate English ones. My cousin had one of the largest hunts in Germany and I went hunting with him often and saw a lot of animals.

I am sure that Spain has many creatures I have not seen. No I have not yet been to Spain

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:41 am

The roe deer that I refer is <i>Capreolus capreolus</i> and the fallow deer, <i>Dama dama</i>. Deer is <i>Cervus elaphus</i>

Some weeks ago I saw the shy and nocturnal genet <i>(Genetta genetta)</i> crossing the road in front of my car near Avila, Spain

PreviousNext

Return to General