Yeti Airlines-Lukla

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
Cloudwalker757

Yeti Airlines-Lukla

by Cloudwalker757 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:20 pm

A Yeti Airlines Twin Otter has crashed at the Lukla Tenzing-Hillary Airport while on approach in foggy conditions. Eighteen people are reported dead with only the captain surviving.
I departed Lukla Tuesday morning on Sita Air with good weather conditions. The accident happpened Wednesday morning at around 7:31 am.
More information is available at www.nepalnews.com

Kurt Wedberg

by Kurt Wedberg » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:56 pm

That's terrible news. That airport has had a few accidents over the years but considering how many flights have been in and out of there there haven't been too many. I think this is the 6th crash since 1973. Some have said that is where Hillary's first wife Louise and daughter Belinda were killed in 1975 but that isn't true. They died departing Kathmandu going to Phaphlu where Hillary was working on an aid project.

The angle of that runway is amazing. It's slanted at over 11 degrees. Here's a picture of it in spring 2008. It is easy to see how a pilot could have trouble if they were trying to land in foggy conditions.

My prayers to them and all their family and friends.

abhishek77

by abhishek77 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:44 pm

I left on the Tuesday morning as well on the Yeti airlines flights. Luckily for us the conditions were good. I was shocked to hear this when it happened though.

AndrewSmyth

by AndrewSmyth » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:17 am

Also left on the morning before on Yeti and it was pretty uneventful. Also safe back in Oz now, planning my next trip.

Im a lucky sod!!

Return to Asia