Pilot Knob Trailhead

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.52030°N / 73.596°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Easy to moderate grades
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Take NY Rt. 149 to Rt. 9L. Turn left on to Rt. 9L heading north. Take Rt. 9L for just shy of 5 miles and turn right at the sign for Kattskill Bay and Pilot Knob. The parking lot is 3.5 miles on the right hand side. There is a trail register at the trailhead.

Route Description


Total distance one way is 3.3 miles
total ascent is 2,000 ft. The trail is marked with yellow trail markers.
The trail follows then crosses Butternut Brook a few times, turns left at the intersection with the Butternut Brook Trail, and has many switchbacks on its ascent to the summit. There are a few steep pitches as you reach the summit with a few views of the southern section of Lake George along the way.

Essential Gear


No special equipment needed during the summer and fall.
Snowshoes and possibly crampons needed in winter.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.