Page Type Page Type: Trailhead
Location Lat/Lon: 32.37009°N / 106.56012°W
Additional Information County: Doña Ana
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6880 ft / 2097 m

Overview



<alt="Click for Las Cruces, New Mexico Forecast" height=60 width=468>

Organ Mountains
On the higher elevations of the Pine Tree Trail, the view down overlooks the Tularosa Basin to the east.

The 4.5-mile-long Pine Tree Trail is located in the Organ Mountains just east of the city of Las Cruces in southwestern New Mexico. The trail is a loop, with the trailhead being located near the campground area at the Aguirre Springs Recreation Area. It starts at an elevation of 5,700 ft. and rises to 6,880 ft. at the base of the Organ Needles, making it the highest maintained trail in the Organ Mountains.

At the lower elevations, juniper and piñon will be the dominant trees. As you approach the higher elevations, the habitat will shift to Ponderosa pine. This is a well-maintained trail and is the most picturesque in the Organs.

Getting There

From U.S. Hwy 70, take Aguirre Springs Road south. The intersection is 1.1 miles east of the San Augustin Pass, through which Hwy 70 runs. Stay on this road until you reach the fee area and campgrounds (approx. 6 miles). There is a small parking area available for hikers. Just continue past the self-pay station; the road will curve to the left and the parking area is to the left side of the road. You will see the Pine Tree Trailhead on the right side.

Camping

Developed campsites are available at the Aguirre Springs Recreation Area. There are no designated campsites along Pine Tree Trail, however, primitive camping is permitted along the trail at no fee.

Red Tape

BLM rules apply. Open year-round. 57 family camp sites and 2 group camp sites at the Aguirre Springs Recreation Area: Group sites can be reserved ($25 reservation fee) by calling the BLM Las Cruces District Office at 505-525-4300. $3 per vehicle daily fee and $3 per night fee (if camping in established camp site). The entrance gate to Aguirre Springs is opened 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. April to October and 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. October to April. Leashed dogs are allowed on the trail.




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Organ MountainsTrailheads