Viewing: 1-13 of 13
lcarreau

lcarreau - Mar 6, 2011 8:23 am - Voted 10/10

Now I like this ...

You go into a detailed account of the cultural significance and
history of Ship Rock, which lends a unique and dutiful sense of
RESPECT for it.

This SHOULD be required reading for all those who are "skillful"
enough to climb it. Definitely more to it than meets the eye ..

Brian C

Brian C - Mar 7, 2011 8:07 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Now I like this ...

I'm glad you liked it. Understanding the Navajo and respecting the land only makes it more beautiful and powerful!

Wild

Wild - Mar 7, 2011 11:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Amazing article, Brian

Wow, what a read. I feel a very strong urge to go backpacking around that area and checking out the rock for myself. I think I just found a future epic project!

Thanks for this!

Brian C

Brian C - Mar 8, 2011 11:45 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Amazing article, Brian

Thanks. It is a very special place that can really only be appreciated in person. Be careful backpacking around there as the land is private and has some regulations. There are roads that go to the base and there are zero no trespassing signs but if you ran into the wrong person you could get some flak (especially if camping).

BigRob

BigRob - Mar 8, 2011 3:12 pm - Voted 10/10

Very Nice

I work at Northern Navajo Medical Center and see the Shiprock almost every day. I know people who have climbed it recently and as long ago as the mid-eighties. I have not yet added my name to the great goverment ledger in the sky. Funny, we still use those green ledgers here at the hospital, so I have no doubts where that one came from. I've seen pictures of every page in the ledger and believe it to be one of the greatest peices of climbing memoribilia in existence.

Brian C

Brian C - Mar 8, 2011 5:31 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Very Nice

The register is truly filled with amazing names and stories and is a legend itself. Looking at that Rock everyday would be amazing. I remember seeing your awesome photo of Ship Rock here on SP and being inspired.

ericvola

ericvola - Dec 17, 2012 10:11 am - Voted 10/10

Inspired and simple

Do write more articles of this kind: your first one makes a very nice read about the pioneering times and should encourage you to go further.

Brian C

Brian C - Dec 17, 2012 10:28 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Inspired and simple

Thank you. I was just thinking about writing another article yesterday. What would be a good peak to write about?

jacobsmith

jacobsmith - Mar 11, 2013 8:06 pm - Voted 10/10

Interesting History

Great article, I always found it rather discrediting of the 50 Classic Climbs book that one of their reported routes was illegal.
Also, I don't have anything against post-colonial Whiteman-type aboriginal histories in general, but from a climbing perspective a geological history might be more relevant.

Brian C

Brian C - Mar 13, 2013 8:25 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Interesting History

Thanks. I agree that it is interesting that it was included in the list. I would guess their thoughts were that the current legality of the climb didn't effect the "grand" nature of the FA as it was legal until around 1970 (hopefully that dates is at least close). Maybe they thought it would reopen some day??

I wish I could give more geological info on it, but I'm not smart enough! Haha.

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Mar 15, 2013 5:02 pm - Voted 10/10

Open in the 80s?

In 1982 of 1983, the New Mexico Mountain Club was supposedly negotiating for a legal climb. Maybe they were in a slightly darker gray area.

Kiefer

Kiefer - Mar 20, 2013 2:20 am - Voted 10/10

Nice!

Sweet write up on Ship Rock, Brian. I've heard the same things about the summit register. A mutual friend snapped a great pic of the register and it was cool to see Royal Robbins name in it.
I especially liked the Native American history about it.
So many classic archetypes at work.
Kinda reminds me of the Angel of Shavano (Ute origins) story.
Cool to see Robinson involved in the historic 1st ascent.

Brian C

Brian C - Mar 20, 2013 8:23 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice!

Thanks Kiefer! There are a lot of peaks and features that have interesting stories. I'd be interested in looking into if there are stories about Blanca as it is also sacred to the Dine and considered to be one of the four corners of the Navajo Lands.

Also, here is a photo of Royal Robbins in the register...
http://www.brianinthewild.com/uploads/5/6/4/7/5647649/5660855_orig.jpg

Viewing: 1-13 of 13
Return to 'Pioneering Ship Rock' main page