Pk 8136 "Eyrie Peak"

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 41.28700°N / 111.89437°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Sign the Climber's Log
Peak 8136

Overview

Peak 8136 or simply 8136 as it is indicated on topographical maps, is worth a visit on the way to Lewis Peak since it is the highest peak in the area, higher than Lewis Peak by over a hundred feet. Easy to grab by just climbing up a trail that branches off of the main Lewis Peak trail, it only adds just a few minutes to top out on it. If you are interested in the top 100 highest prominence peaks in Utah, (see this list, it comes in at #86) I have found this list of peaks to be a lot of fun and it adds to my knowledge of Utah since they are distributed all over the state.

SP member mountaingazelle also informs us that "Peak 8,136 is also known as Eyrie Peak or Mount Eyrie. I'm not sure exactly where the name comes from. There is a Mount Eyrie Park in Ogden so maybe that has something to do with it. The main trail goes right next to this peak so it is easy to combine all of the points on the ridge plus Lewis Peak."

A bit more information can be gleaned from this List of John spotlight HERE.

Getting There

The author of the Lewis Peak page has aptly described how to get to the trailhead for this peak on the main page. I will quote his directions here:
"Take I-15 north past Odgen, and take the Pleasant View exit. Turn right onto 2700 north, heading east. You'll come to US-89, continue through the light heading directly east, This turns into 2600 north. Continue until you reach 400 east, and turn left. Now you heading north. Ben Lomond will be right in front of you. This turns into 450 east. Take a right onto 3100 north, heading east again. Continue east through the subdivisions, and you'll start climbing up the North Ogden Divide. This is a paved road, and is well maintained. Follow this to the top, and you'll see the trailhead parking on the right."

Also worth noting is the Boy Scout information plaque found just as you turn into the parking lot. For those who need it, a forest service type vault toilet is also present.

Route Description

Be aware that this trail gets a lot of use. Mountain bikers, horse traffic as well as lots of hikers. On the day I visited, there were two guys on small dirt bikes also using the trail.

Basically, just follow the main Lewis Peak trail for about three miles and that will take you right to the base of this peak. A trail also goes to the summit so it is a very easy peak to visit and enjoy. You can combine it with a visit to Lewis Peak and you should do so, even if you are just interested in the prominence peaks only. See the map I have added to this page and that will give you a feel for its relationship to Lewis Peak.

Round trip just to Peak 8136 is about 6 1/2 miles (a bit less) and it has an elevation gain of a little over 2000 feet.

Time wise: It took me slightly less than two hours up and an hour and twenty minutes down. I'm probably a medium speed hiker so don't judge your time by my performance.

Essential Gear

Good hiking shoes, plenty of water and your camera.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.