Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.79810°N / 121.2706°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7438 ft / 2267 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Nelson Ridge Summit View Point 7438 from Nelson Ridge


There are so many peaks in the area around Mount Aix. Each of them above timberline and each of them with outstanding views. Unfortunately many of these peaks are not named at all and though they are unique the summit tend on to get much attention.

Bismarck Peak from Point 7438


Such is the case for this cairned summit located right between the true yet unmarked summit of Nelson Ridge. Located right just a couple hundred feet off of the Mount Aix trail this summit is cairned on the summit an it contains excellent views of the sorrounding region. The peak itself is a great stopping point if conditions heading to Mount Aix are to sketchy to continue or if there are other issues that may arise. The views towards Mount Aix really show how much larger Mount Aix looks compared to the rest of the mountains of the region.

Looking at Nelson Ridge from Mount Aix


To get up to Point 7438 take the Mount Aix Trail up to the ridgeline that both Point 7438 is located and Nelson Ridge is located. Once on the ridgeline stay on the trail slightly until going off trail a couple hundred feet to this cairned summit where excellent views await. Total Distance 8 miles, 3600 feet of elevation gain.

Getting There

FROM CHINOOK AND CAYUSE PASS: Take 410 to roughly 22 miles east of Cayuse Pass. Turn right at the sign for Bumping Lake Road and follow the road 11 miles to where it becomes a forest road #1800. Stay on it to 2 1/2 miles and at a junction you want to stay left on Road 1808 about two miles to the Mt. Aix Trailhead.

FROM YAKIMA: Take 410 west until you see a sign on the left for Bumping Lake Road. Proceed using the above directions.

Red Tape

Northwest Forest Pass Required. A wilderness Permit is also required which is available at the trailhead.

Nelson Ridge true summit

Camping

There is plenty of camping near the trailhead which can make for a good early start for summit-bagging both Nelson Ridge and Mount Aix. There a couple of grassy spot just before timberline to set camp if you wish to head for higher ground.

Weather Link






Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.