DeanUntitled Comment

Ah Courtney, you just want to tempt me with peaks like this one. I look forward to some pics of course and when I'm down in your area, I 'll try and get some to add to those that will be put up. You are indeed the southern Nevada SP chamber of commerce.

Potosi also ranks as #65 in the top prominence peaks in the state of Nevada. #65 out of 169.

Here's a whole list of them. : )
Posted Feb 17, 2005 3:34 pm

cp0915Untitled Comment

cp0915

Ha! Well, thanks Dean. Fortunately, I'm well-seasoned in the way of S. NV peaks. I'm happy to spread the word. The desert is a fine area, and the peaks there are worthy of SP.
Posted Feb 17, 2005 3:37 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

The nice thing about the desert peaks is that when we can't get into the snowy or lofty high peaks, there is some good stuff waiting for us in the desert. Can't wait to get back down there.
Posted Feb 17, 2005 3:42 pm

mtwashingtonmonroeUntitled Comment

mtwashingtonmonroe

Already a four star page on the information. Can't wait to see the pictures. Nice job and have a good one!

-Britt
Posted Feb 17, 2005 9:42 pm

brentaUntitled Comment

brenta

Nice, well-written page for an interesting mountain. I look forward to seeing the pictures. Thanks for posting!
Posted Feb 18, 2005 1:06 am

ShanoUntitled Comment

Shano

great looking page. Sad footnote on the plane crash.

Posted Feb 18, 2005 4:04 pm

rpcUntitled Comment

rpc

Looking forward to the pic's. Nice page Courtney.
Posted Feb 18, 2005 7:12 pm

Don NelsenUntitled Comment

Don Nelsen

Great page and historical info.

I saw a film clip about Carole Lombard's tragic demise and wondered just where it was that the plane went down. She was generally regarded as the love of Clark Gable's life so what a tragedy. I've seen some of her movies and am a fan of her's so I guess I'll be going up to pay my respects this summer.

Thanks for putting up the page.

Don
Posted Feb 18, 2005 8:05 pm

cp0915Untitled Comment

cp0915

Thanks for the vote.
Posted Feb 28, 2005 12:09 pm

cp0915Untitled Comment

cp0915

I agree. I was under the impression that the area was under the management of the BLM. I did some quick net research just now but could't find a definite answer. I'll keep checking though. Thanks for the suggestion.
Posted Mar 8, 2005 9:49 am

cp0915Untitled Comment

cp0915

Thanks for the vote.
Posted Jan 26, 2006 10:01 am

MoapaPkA-frame cabin

MoapaPk

The A-Frame may now be under new management. The caretaker at the cabin before was a real pain-in-the-butt, and would block the cars of those who went up Potosi or in to the caves.

Some 6-year-old info:
Potosi Access

Apparently Augie Bustos (Augustine) still owns the property.

Current status of development plans:
Potosi Development Plans

The above web site now provides some crappy topo maps on the latter site, to help you figure out where his property boundaries might be. I've placed a better topo map in the images section. If you follow the northern GPS trace, parking on the upper left side of the "R" between "Potosi" and "Ruins", you will never cross his land.

Some of the nearby land is definitely forest service ("give a hoot, don't pollute"). However, there is also land peculiarly signed as belonging to "Clark Co. Parks and Recreation... use by reservation only".

Interesting 2005 developments

According to the above, building of the "Spa" would start in 2007, and one could expect quite a bit of traffic for several years after. It may be necessary to find a parking area away from the current legal parking, just to avoid being blocked by traffic.
Posted Apr 30, 2006 5:53 am

MoapaPkPa's Rump

MoapaPk

By the way, the "impressive unnamed peak... to the west" has been informally christened Pa's Rump.
Posted May 6, 2006 9:06 pm

lcarreauPa's Rump ?

lcarreau

Looking forward to your new book coming out! Alas, I wish I was a Las Vegas local, then I could get in on naming some of these peaks. Historical facts are good things to make records of !!!
I didn't know about the Lombard Crash, either. Thanks, Courtney!
Posted Mar 29, 2008 11:24 pm

cp0915Re: Pa's Rump ?

cp0915

Yep, Harlan's the local guru on the Lombard beta. His website has (had?) good pics and info on it.

And the book is out! Shewww.
Posted Mar 31, 2008 11:17 am