Viewing: 1-16 of 16
Dean

Dean - Feb 17, 2005 3:34 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Ah Courtney, you just want to tempt me with peaks like this one. I look forward to some pics of course and when I'm down in your area, I 'll try and get some to add to those that will be put up. You are indeed the southern Nevada SP chamber of commerce.



Potosi also ranks as #65 in the top prominence peaks in the state of Nevada. #65 out of 169.



Here's a whole list of them. : )

cp0915

cp0915 - Feb 17, 2005 3:37 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Ha! Well, thanks Dean. Fortunately, I'm well-seasoned in the way of S. NV peaks. I'm happy to spread the word. The desert is a fine area, and the peaks there are worthy of SP.

Dean

Dean - Feb 17, 2005 3:42 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

The nice thing about the desert peaks is that when we can't get into the snowy or lofty high peaks, there is some good stuff waiting for us in the desert. Can't wait to get back down there.

mtwashingtonmonroe

mtwashingtonmonroe - Feb 17, 2005 9:42 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Already a four star page on the information. Can't wait to see the pictures. Nice job and have a good one!

-Britt

brenta

brenta - Feb 18, 2005 1:06 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice, well-written page for an interesting mountain. I look forward to seeing the pictures. Thanks for posting!

Shano

Shano - Feb 18, 2005 4:04 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

great looking page. Sad footnote on the plane crash.



rpc

rpc - Feb 18, 2005 7:12 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Looking forward to the pic's. Nice page Courtney.

Don Nelsen

Don Nelsen - Feb 18, 2005 8:05 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Great page and historical info.



I saw a film clip about Carole Lombard's tragic demise and wondered just where it was that the plane went down. She was generally regarded as the love of Clark Gable's life so what a tragedy. I've seen some of her movies and am a fan of her's so I guess I'll be going up to pay my respects this summer.



Thanks for putting up the page.



Don

cp0915

cp0915 - Feb 28, 2005 12:09 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for the vote.

cp0915

cp0915 - Mar 8, 2005 9:49 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

I agree. I was under the impression that the area was under the management of the BLM. I did some quick net research just now but could't find a definite answer. I'll keep checking though. Thanks for the suggestion.

cp0915

cp0915 - Jan 26, 2006 10:01 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for the vote.

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Apr 30, 2006 5:53 am - Voted 10/10

A-frame cabin

The A-Frame may now be under new management. The caretaker at the cabin before was a real pain-in-the-butt, and would block the cars of those who went up Potosi or in to the caves.

Some 6-year-old info:
Potosi Access

Apparently Augie Bustos (Augustine) still owns the property.

Current status of development plans:
Potosi Development Plans

The above web site now provides some crappy topo maps on the latter site, to help you figure out where his property boundaries might be. I've placed a better topo map in the images section. If you follow the northern GPS trace, parking on the upper left side of the "R" between "Potosi" and "Ruins", you will never cross his land.


Some of the nearby land is definitely forest service ("give a hoot, don't pollute"). However, there is also land peculiarly signed as belonging to "Clark Co. Parks and Recreation... use by reservation only".

Interesting 2005 developments

According to the above, building of the "Spa" would start in 2007, and one could expect quite a bit of traffic for several years after. It may be necessary to find a parking area away from the current legal parking, just to avoid being blocked by traffic.

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - May 6, 2006 9:06 pm - Voted 10/10

Pa's Rump

By the way, the "impressive unnamed peak... to the west" has been informally christened Pa's Rump.

lcarreau

lcarreau - Mar 29, 2008 11:24 pm - Voted 10/10

Pa's Rump ?

Looking forward to your new book coming out! Alas, I wish I was a Las Vegas local, then I could get in on naming some of these peaks. Historical facts are good things to make records of !!!
I didn't know about the Lombard Crash, either. Thanks, Courtney!

cp0915

cp0915 - Mar 31, 2008 11:17 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Pa's Rump ?

Yep, Harlan's the local guru on the Lombard beta. His website has (had?) good pics and info on it.

And the book is out! Shewww.

Lostflights - Oct 26, 2020 9:19 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Pa's Rump ?

Who’s Harlan? And what’s his website?

Viewing: 1-16 of 16
Return to 'Potosi Mountain' main page