Powerline Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.48880°N / 76.5816°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike (Class 1)
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow the directions in the "Getting There" section of the main page for the south side access. Once you exit off of 322 and get onto 443 head a mile east passing Harrisburg Country Club on your right. There will be a sign for Camp Reilly on your left. This is where you will turn and head back an old 4x4 road for about half a mile. You can park at Camp Reilly, or at a small pulloff a little farther up the road. The trail starts next to a building up on the hill in Camp Reilly.

Route Description


This route ascends the powerline cut on Second Mountain and provides some nice views despite the lines towards Harrisburg and the Susquehanna River. It is all Class 1 hiking but does get quite steep when ascending the powerline cut.

From Camp Reilly follow the gold blazed trail up hill (north) until you reach the red blazed trail which travels west to east. Head east for approximately 0.4 miles until you intersect the powerline cut. From here it is a 1mile climb up to the summit and some very nice views south and north. The trail from the base to the summit is a steep rocky talus that absolutely kills the boots, so make sure you're prepared. You'll want trekking poles for the descent because it is really loose and slick. The trail is enshrouded in beautiful wildflowers in Spring and Summer and it's almost a sure bet that you'll get some glances at some of the areas wildlife.

Views south extend over Blue Mountain to Harrisburg and beyond with the Susquehanna River over to your right and the stone arched Rockville Bridge, which is the longest in the world. If you look north you can see over Third Mountain to Peters Mountain Ridge. If you look very carefully you can see Table Rock and Shikellamy Rocks jutting out of the top of the ridge on either end. This trail is a very nice evening or morning hike to watch the sun either coming or going. You'll gain just over 700 feet on the ascent in 1.4 miles.

Essential Gear


Comfortable hiking boots, water/snacks, trekking poles (a must), and a camera.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.