Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Additional Information Elevation: 2743 ft / 836 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


At 637 meters above sea level, Mount Pukhan may not very high or overly difficult, but it is visited and climbed by thousands of mountain loving Koreans every year and offers spectacular views of granite cliffs and green valleys from its summit.

While it only takes a few hours to climb -- those hours will be well spent. It's amazing that in the middle of seoul (a bustling city of 14mio) one can take a 20 minute subway ride and, aside from the hundred of people on the mountain with you, get away from it all.

Essentially the park consists of many many peaks of granite ranging in height from 836 for Baegundae, Nojeokbong (716m), Insubong (810m), and Mangyeongdae (799). They're all connected so once you've climbed up one you can attempt the next. Scattered throughout the park you can try your hand at other ranging from 675m to 7540m.

These granite rocks offer options for everyone from the contemporary climber after a 50ft pitch at 800ft to a simple stair walk-up.

Getting There


The mountain itself is easy enough to reach as it's in the North West section of Seoul easily accessible by subway, bus, or taxi.

The easiest method is to take the orange #3 line to the stop called Gupabal. The appropriate exit is clearly marked in the subway, but once you've exited you'll either need to take a mini-bus to the entrance or a 5-minute taxi. The bus number from Gupabal Station to Pukhansan is 156.

It should be farely obvious where to go as there will likely be 20 people getting off the subway at the same time all dressed to the nines in their hiking gear.

A very helpful subway map.

Red Tape


No permit is required, but there is a 1600 Won (around US$1.50) entrance fee required for entry. Hand them the money, take the ticket, and start walking.

When To Climb


In theory you can climb this mountain anytime (and people definitely do), but I recommend you climb on a weekday as it can get incredibly crowded (think Mt. Fuji). I also suggest the autumn when temperatures are neither too hot or too cold and the surrounding countryside will be alive with colour. The granite can get rather slippery in the rain so I personally suggest you do this hike on a dry day.

Weather.

Camping


For a fee of 3000W (US$2.80) you can pitch a tent in the park, but, as far as I know, most people just visit the park for the day. There is also Tobong Mountain House with hostel style rooms available for another 3000W a night .

Mountain Conditions


In theory you can climb this mountain anytime (and people definitely do), but I recommend you climb on a weekday as it can get incredibly crowded (think Mt. Fuji). I also suggest the autumn when temperatures are neither too hot nor too cold and the surrounding countryside will be alive with colour.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
awkwardlanding

awkwardlanding - Sep 17, 2006 8:22 am - Voted 6/10

Easier way to get there

The best way to get to this mountain, and by far the easiest is take the blue subway line (line 4) to Suyu (¼öÀ¯). From here take the 120 bus. When you get off there will be a long line of Koreans waiting for another bus. This bus will take you to the temple. It's not meant for climbers and hikers, just for those going to the temple but they don't really mind. Another plus, this bus is free!

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.