Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 44.02440°N / 71.8314°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 21, 2007
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

Overview

Started from the parking lot at 6:30 pm. Hiked pretty quickly and made it to the summit in 1:12. It was intermittently cloudy and you could see the clouds roll over the ridge onto the summit. As the clouds broke occasionally you would get great views in all directions that this mountain is famous for. Hung out up top until 8:00 and headed down. Cruised down in just under an hour including time to stop and take pictures and made it back to the car by 9:00 pm just as it started to get pretty dark. The 5 hour estimate in the guide book is pretty conservative, I had no real problems doing the whole trip in what would be 2 hours if you don't count the picture stops and break at the summit, that said I am in fairly good shape and other people may take more time.

Times and Landmarks

Crossed the first bridge and actually got on the Gorge Brook Trail: 5 minutes (see warning below)

Crossed third bridge, where Snapper splits off from Gorge Brook Trail: 15 minutes

Trail turns right, away from the river, there is a sign saying you are at 3300 feet elevation: 30 minutes

First view, a break in the trees offers a great view towards the south: 45 minutes

Treeline, intermittent breaks quickly lead to tree line and a grassy summit area: 1 hour

Summit, remains of the old summit carriage house and the summit post: 1 hour 12 minutes

Quick Warning

If you start from the trailhead as opposed to the cabin it requires some guesswork to find the trails. The trail starts on a flat road, but quickly ducks down and left off of that road. When that trail intersects another larger trail make a left. Then when you get to the river cross the bridge to the right. There should be trail signs there directing you on the various routes.

Comments

No comments posted yet.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mount MoosilaukeTrip Reports