Rainbow Pass

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.96850°N / 113.468°W
Additional Information Route Type: Loose Rock Scrambling
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Start off from the same Trailhead as described, for the Edith Lake Route, which is Trailhead Post 14 and Trail 26 and at an elevation of 6,375 feet on your Pintler Map, after 2.2 miles of trail, the trail splits at an elevation of 7,245 feet and (N45'58.920----W113'29.600.)

Edith Lake is to the Left (Northwest) and Big Johnson Lake is to the right (South), take the Johnson Lake Trail up to the lake it is 4.4 miles from the trailhead to the lake and the lake is at an elevation of 7,677 and (N45'57.402----W113'29.243).

At the Lake follow the trail to the other end (South) and then take a left, there are 3 trails connecting here just go left and hook up with Trail #9 this is part of the CDT. hike it in a South East direction for 2.3 miles up to Rainbow Pass at 9,250 feet.

Route Description

Ok your at Rainbow Pass now you leave the trail and go North up Mc.Glaughlin Peak's South Ridge, just follow this up and stay on the Ridge line and it's Low Class 3 and the exposure is not to signifigant, so rope is not a requirement. This route will lead you up the the smooth summit of the Peak. You can also go down the West Ridge of the Peak and come out at Edith Lake, then you can hook up with the trail in which returns you back to your starting point.

Fill up your water bottles before you hit the top of the Rainbow Pass there is no water from here on.

Snow usually lasts until mid July on the route listed.

Essential Gear

--Good stiff soled boots.
--rain/wind gear.
--Ice Axe/Crampons from Dec through June.
--snowshoes from Dec to Late May and even June some years.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.