Rainbow Valley

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 33.27350°N / 112.2807°W
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Mostly Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Route Description

From the parking spot, start walking up the road towards the mountains. The road ends a short distance later. Leave the road, and start climbing across the rugged terrain towards the base of the mountains. You will soon enter a prominent drainage. Climb up the drainage to the base of a prominent ridge that climbs steeply up to the ridge crest. You will notice the prominent Point 4232 on the left side of the skyline. Just to the right of this Point is a saddle. You can climb up to this saddle if you want, or you can take a more direct approach and climb straight up the ridge. The climbing route up the ridge is steep, rocky, and rough. The route up the drainage to the saddle appears to cross more moderate terrain.

If you climb up the ridge, your goal is to reach this small saddle, which is hidden from view until you reach it. Once you reach this saddle, you will be able to see the summit radio towers above you. The toughest climbing is now behind you. The slope moderates from here on up. Climb up the slope towards a prominent rock outcropping at 4,240'. Bypass the outcropping on the right, and head up easy slopes to the summit, where you can enjoy the views. There is a faint path in places above the small saddle. You can also reach the summit from the saddle next to Point 4232.






Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.