Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.33219°N / 105.54514°W
Additional Information County: Larimer
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 9553 ft / 2912 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Rams Horn MountainZoomed into Rams Horn Mountain from the summit of Lily Mountain.

Rams Horn Mountain sits in Roosevelt National Forest, just south of the town of Estes Park, Colorado. It is close to, but outside of, Rocky Mountain National Park. Relative to its much more popular neighbors (Twin Sisters Peaks to the southeast, Longs Peak to the southwest, and the town of Estes Park to the north), Rams Horn Mountain sees little traffic. Rams Horn Mountain drops even further down in the popularity rankings due to the facts that there is no trail to its summit and the U.S. Forest Service closes access to it from April 1 to July 31.

However, if you don't mind a bit of off-trail hiking, Rams Horn Mountain is relatively easy to access. The summit provides a unique perspective of the area, with a 360-degree view of the many peaks south of Estes Park: Emerald Mountain, Eagle Cliff Mountain, Prospect Mountain, Kruger Rock, Twin Sisters Peaks, Lily Mountain, and "Thunder Peak".

The west side of the mountain is composed of granite cliffs. These rock formations were named "Teddys Teeth" by boys at the nearby YMCA camp in honor of (or making fun of) Teddy Roosevelt.

Getting There

Rams Horn Mountain is surrounded on three sides (west, north, and east) by private land. Therefore, unless one wishes to ask landowners for permission, the logical access is from the south. The easiest approach is from Lily Mountain Trailhead.

Red Tape

No permits or fees are required. The U.S. Forest Service closes access to Rams Horn Mountain from April 1 to July 31 due to it being a "Sensitive Species Area".

Camping

Camping is not allowed at the trailhead. However, there is abundant camping in Rocky Mountain National Park. See http://www.nps.gov/romo/.

Seasons

The peak is accessible year-round. Snowshoes can be helpful in the winter.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.