Lily Mountain and Rams Horn Mountain from Lily Mountain TH

Lily Mountain and Rams Horn Mountain from Lily Mountain TH

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.33219°N / 105.54514°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Lily Mountain from Rams Horn MountainLily Mountain (right of center) from the summit of Rams Horn Mountain.


This link-up combines Lily Mountain and Rams Horn Mountain into one outing. Hike up to the summit of Lily Mountain first, then hike down to the saddle between it and Rams Horn Mountain, and then up Rams Horn mountain. It can also be done in the reverse direction.

Getting There

Start at Lily Mountain Trailhead.

Route Description

Stats: Class 2, 4.6 miles (round trip), 1719 feet of elevation gain.

From the trailhead, follow the obvious Lily Mountain Trail north for 0.7 miles. There is not very much elevation gain during this portion of the hike (in fact, there is a net loss of 80 feet). You are looking for a trail that branches to the northwest from the trail that you are on. You know that you went about 20 feet or so too far when you reach a large rock on the east side of the trail and the trail appears to just end (and continuing forward would involve bushwacking downhill).

Follow the trail as it climbs up the east slope of Lily Mountain. After a total of 1.5 miles from the trailhead, you will hit the rocky summit of Lily Mountain. Climb the class 2 rocks up the remaining 100 feet or so to the summit.

To get to Rams Horn Mountain from the summit of Lily Mountain, follow the Lily Mountain Trail back down to an elevation of 9,000 ft. From here, bushwack for about 0.5 miles northwest through the trees to the saddle between Lily Mountain and Rams Horn Mountain. Try not to lose very much elevation during this section. From the saddle, hike 0.3 miles (gaining 500 feet of elevation) to the summit of Rams Horn Mountain. There is a second, slightly lower summit just north of the main summit.

Trail Profile and Map

The trail color represents the class of that portion of the trail.

Green = Class 1
Blue = Class 2

Trail Profile

The vertical unit is feet, and the horizontal unit is miles.
Trail Profile of Lily Mountain TH to Lily Mountain and Rams Horn Mountain


Map
Lily Mtn and Rams Horn Mtn from Lily Mtn THLily Mtn and Rams Horn Mtn from Lily Mtn TH.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.